Cannot choose a path forward in life!

WindowTo

I don't want to sound like a complainer, I am just scared of wasting my potential. Right now I am 3 years out of college and have had a good secure job in IT. I am not passionate about what I am doing right now, which kills me because I am very passionate about so many things. Furthermore I just got out of a relationship that was one big fart. We broke up and it wasn't that big a deal for either of us. I want to just be in love again. The problem in that area is twofold: 1. I live in an environment where I barely meet any new people let alone prospective dates (environment being married older friends), workplace full of older people as well, in a city with a social scene that I don't love. And 2. I am wary about looking for someone when I am on the verge of up and moving to god knows where to follow a career. Problem is that I cannot decide what career I want to pursue and it is killing me! I basically go in cycles now, throughout the year my interest jumps predictably from International Relations and Philosophy (want/wanted to work for the State Department or become a professor/go into acadamia) to staying with computer tech/IT (looking for a job with an actual IT or software company moving to Silocon Valley probably) to getting an MBA (opens many options will make good money, be able to use my good soft skills) to working in the video game industry ( a hobby that as much as I try to deny it entails work that is the least like work of anything even if the industry is hard, level design even game programming and project management is relatively fun).

So I am just feeling lonely and stuck. I cannot choose because I am afraid I will regret going down one path, I have these interests that I feel strongly about but not consistently. I want to really spend time balancing my social and work life, but I am so concentrated on trying to figure out what I want to do career-wise so that I can focus my energies that I am just compelled to put other things on hold.

Perhaps part of it is that I am a suburban kid, my biggest problem growing up was that I was bored and alone. My family story is very different, my parents came from Israel and grew up in war torn areas after world war 2 and throughout the birth of the nation of Israel. They had very decisive meaning and needs to fullfill with their direction, but nothing is really grabbing me in regards to work. I see amazing potential in all these areas for living a fullfilled life, but none of them seem to stand out from eachother. I despise indecisiveness, but I despise making decisions that I will regret as well. /vent

I think you're feeling what many people your age experience. When you're in college, you have a goal to graduate and a hope that you'll have an interesting and prosperous career. Then, especially in this economy, you wind up taking what you can get. You are wise to be exploring where it is you want to go, but only you can find that answer, and that only comes after much time and thought. Don't beat yourself up because you can't come up with an answer today. Just keep working at it, and one day, the right answer will be oh so clear. Just hang in there.

I'm like that myself. There are a few choices career options that I'm considering taking too. But not sure if the first one I've ever had will pan out in this life time or not. Not because of no potential or not having what it takes. But the connections and the resources and the ways it can happen and that. That is the direction of a singer.

The other two I'm considering. Are. Becoming some type of counselor for people who deal with manipulative abusive issues and self esteem etc. Or some type of advocate for that thing.

And also becoming a writer. I seem to excel at all three of these things. Just trying to balance it out more. Definitely go for what you're passionate with.

Archived