What happens during a STD test?

I'm finally getting round to booking a STD test, been sexually active for a few years now but this is my first one (I know, I know, very dumb). However, I've no idea what actually happens when you go in? Can I just make an appointment with my GP and ask to be tested when I head in? Or just ask for the practice nurse? What samples do they take? (I had my first smear test a couple of years ago, results were fine).

go in to see your doctor, a nurse practitioner can do it too. tell them you want the full std panel. they will take a blood sample and swab you (internally). i believe the swab tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea and the blood is hiv, herpes, and syphillis. if you arent having and problems or symptoms thats what they will do. i assume if you were having symptoms they might do additional tests. the blood test for herpes will even show if you ever had an exposure (meaning you came into contact with the virus but your body fought it off.) in addition they can tell you if your exposure or infection, should you have it, was recent or not.

i go every year for my pap and a full panel.

in addition they can tell you if your exposure or infection, should you have it, was recent or not.

Interesting! The info I've heard about herpes testing is unclear, but I've never noticed any symptoms at the moment. Thanks for your response, feel much better about arranging the appointment now

oh and this is at my OBGYN. i went once to a general practice doctor and they took urine and did a blood test for HIV only. if you have an OBGYN, thats really where you should be tested. they will be thorough.

and yes, there is so much confusion about that herpes test! i think its bc everyone has different experiences with doctors/nurses as in how your results are being explained.

This is where I get all muddled up with GUM clinics, family planning clinics and just going to the doctor, haha. I figured there should be no reason to register at another clinic when the same service should theoretically be offered at my doctors up the road, but I'll see what they say when I go in. Thanks again to all!

Archived