Gifts without monetary value?

Kitkat973

The birthday of a dear friend is coming up, and I'm getting more and more nervous as it gets closer. The gift I've planned for her isn't something that has cost me money- it's been a pretty significant time investment, and I think that she'll enjoy it and hopefully use it regularly, but I'm worried that the lack of something tangible will leave her feeling disappointed.

As for the what, because I know it'll get asked: it's a Pandora station. She has a very specific taste in music that's difficult to match (and very different from mine) and has had no luck using Pandora before. I know that she's interested in finding more music and artists that she enjoys, but it's a backburner priority. I've been working on a station tweaked to what I know of her tastes for the last month, and have been regularly linking her songs to check and make sure I'm keeping it to her tastes without cluing her into what I've been doing.

Should I include a more normal gift along with it? Is the entire idea too the 21st century version of 'oh hi, I made you a mixed tape'?

It's a nice idea, and it is the thought that counts. But I think I'd feel a bit annoyed if I paid money to buy someone a birthday gift, and when it came to my birthday they gave me something with no monetary value. I guess I'd see it as them being a bit miserly.

I'm sure she will appreciate it. I love things which 'add more time' to my life, and cost no money. Babysitting, cooking, cleaning etc... are all great gifts to me as I am a busy person. So in itself, the fact that it did not cost money is not necessarily negative if you know she has an interest in getting the Pandora application set up.

I understand why giving a no-money value gift can be perceived as negative. You don't know how many times I've received images of religious people or clippings of religious news wrapped in gift paper under the tree. Considering that I'm not exactly religious, I find that a bit bizarre and almost right down annoying. I'd rather just receive a card or a letter if you are really money conscious You really have to be careful when you pick out gifts that have no money value as they can't be returned or exchanged or re-gifted or accommodated somehow. That doesn't seem to be your problem if she's said herself that it is something she'd like to achieve.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived