How do I get my date to open the car door for me?

cereza

I would ask her to be careful because my wife wouldn't like it.

Pfftt... stop avoiding the question. Fine, what if your wife opened car doors for you during the entire time you've dated until now. Would you tell her tomorrow to stop doing it?

Pfftt... stop avoiding the question. Fine, what if your wife opened car doors for you during the entire time you've dated until now. Would you tell her tomorrow to stop doing it?
Well, with respect, it's a pointless question that isn't based in reality. I have been with my wife since 1974 and neither of us opened car doors for the other unless there was some practical reason. You see, we have always considered each other as equals.

Well, with respect, it's a pointless question that isn't based in reality. I have been with my wife since 1974 and neither of us opened car doors for the other unless there was some practical reason. You see, we have always considered each other as equals.

I admit my question wasn't intended to be based in reality - it was a hypothetical situation - but that doesn't make it pointless. What if you were no longer with your wife (after enough healing and etc...) and your new date would have performed this? I would assume you would have told her not to as you are 'equals', is that correct?

I admit my question wasn't intended to be based in reality - it was a hypothetical situation - but that doesn't make it pointless. What if you were no longer with your wife (after enough healing and etc...) and your new date would have performed this? I would assume you would have told her not to as you are 'equals', is that correct?
I would say thanks for your kindness but I prefer the more modern way of doing things.

I would say thanks for your kindness but I prefer the more modern way of doing things.

As opposed to the old dated tradition of women opening doors for men? I'm just poking fun at you.

But yeah ok, it seems fairly consistent in the sense that you would expect not to let women open doors for themselves.

As opposed to the old dated tradition of women opening doors for men? I'm just poking fun at you.

But yeah ok, it seems fairly consistent in the sense that you would expect not to let women open doors for themselves.

I have had women open doors for me and the older I get the more often it happens!!! Not sure that is a good thing or not.

Men and women cannot be equal so for those that say that they have to is not. Even to this days guys get paid more than women and women are not so strong as men..so equality is a lie.

Being physically stronger or having a boss who pays more just for being a man are things outside of a guy's control. We should be minimizing the inequality in our lives, not trying to patch it up with silly conventions.

This is just spoiled princess behavior, plain and simple, and should not be tolerated. It ranks exceptionally high on my "Reasons I'm Glad I Turned Out Gay" list.

• Like 1

Nahn, I just like to give myself more credit than I deserve. (Don't take my comments seriously don't but unfortunately there are people who think that way - just as there are men who think all women are gold-diggers because they got burned once by a woman who was.

Maybe he thinks it's insulting to do something for you that you are fully capable of doing on your own. I'd be a little offended if a guy jumped in front of me to open my car door every single time. Once in awhile is nice, especially when it doesn't unlock automatically and he has to pass by the passenger side first, then by all means, unlock my door first. Otherwise, what's the point?

Edited by greywolf

No i agree. Having to wait for someone would be insulting and unpractical. I wouldn't mind for him to get it sometimes. I would definitely get his if he would let me but he gets out of the car faster than I.

If I am stuck in the back seat with the child lock on, then I'd rather that he opens the door for me every single time. I don't really like performing car seat jumping with a dress lol.

Sometimes I wonder if some women do these tests on purpose early on in the relationship?

OP - some men are raised to have manners and treat women a certain way (open car doors, hold a door at a restaurant/shop, etc., come to her door to fetch her for a date rather than beeping in the driveway, pay for dates, etc.), and others aren't. Simple as that.

This guy isn't someone who believes in traditional courtship behaviors. It's up to you if it's a deal-breaker.

• Like 1

One of the ways that people cling on to unfair advantages or outmoded practices is to call them 'manners' or 'courtesies' but wise people refuse to be manipulated in that way in the same way they refuse to be manipulated by such words as "tradition', and 'it's always been done that way and always will'.

LOL. No, it's manners and the mark of a man who was raised well, and taught to show women respect during courtship. I never felt any inequality because a guy opened my car door. I considered him a gentlemen.

A man can be raised well and still not open a car door for a woman. In my opinion, any woman who sits there in the car and -waits- has a sense of entitlement, as if she's a princess that deserves royal treatment.

To each their own, I guess. *Shrug*

A man can be raised well and still not open a car door for a woman. In my opinion, any woman who sits there in the car and -waits- has a sense of entitlement, as if she's a princess that deserves royal treatment.

This is my problem with it. It stems from the perception that women are weak/delicate, who need doors opened for them or coats placed over puddles lest they get themselves wet and shivel up like the witch in the Wizard of Oz. When women see themselves as princesses, as prizes to be won, they're just furthering the idea that they are a commodity exchanged between men. So many of these traditions grow out of this attitude. eg, the act of the father "giving away" his daughter to her husband during a wedding ceremony.

The sooner these traditions die off, the better. There's no question it will take a significant amount of time, just like it did with racial conventions like the one I mentioned, but in the meantime all we can do is speak out against them.

The sooner these traditions die off, the better. There's no question it will take a significant amount of time, just like it did with racial conventions like the one I mentioned, but in the meantime all we can do is speak out against them.

Or, women can continue to discard men who don't treat women with respect nor show manners.

Like I said earlier, some guys were raised to treat women this way, and others not. If the OP finds his behavior unacceptable, then she can find a guy who will treat her like a lady. Plenty of guys like this still out there. I've met very few who don't treat women with this level of respect and manners, actually.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, mostly just skipped to the end. But I'll bet there were some angry replies with the word "entitlement" or some variation thereof.

I think of the gentleman opening the door for the lady as something to be appreciated but not expected. It should be a pleasant surprise, but nothing to get upset about if he doesn't.