How do I get my date to open the car door for me?

cereza

I know that for many women it doesn't matter but for me it does! I want the guy to open the car door for me. How do I make him know without actually telling him (which would be weird because we have just gone on one date) Why doesn't he do it? I mean to open the car door when I'm about to get in the car. Any suggestions? Also why would he prefer to text instead of calling?? I"m shy but he is not..

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cereza - this doesn't answer your question, but I was just talking to my friend about this the other day so it's funny you brought it up. I was telling her, nothing good has ever come from the kind of guys who open car doors for you, lol. Don't know what it is, and any other type of door doesn't seem to matter; but for some reason, every single guy who's ever started out by opening car doors for me has turned out to be a jerk later.

Cereza - this doesn't answer your question, but I was just talking to my friend about this the other day so it's funny you brought it up. I was telling her, nothing good has ever come from the kind of guys who open car doors for you, lol. Don't know what it is, and any other type of door doesn't seem to matter; but for some reason, every single guy who's ever started out by opening car doors for me has turned out to be a jerk later.

A man opening a car door for you has nothing to do with him being a jerk or not. If he's a jerk, then he's a jerk before you even met the man.

omg! maybe is true because the last guy I dated that open the car door for me turn out to be a jerk!

Don't let him open the car door then

Otherwise what you could do is fiddle with the door handle and say "I think something is wrong with the door handle.....I can't get the door open......"

Then he tries it out and opens it for you.

lol! My completely unscientific opinion is that opening a car door is so old school that most guys don't even think about it unless they are using it as a "move." These tend to be the same guys who insist on paying for most things and even carrying things for you that you are perfectly capable of carrying yourself. Sounds nice on the surface, but, ultimately, it's a little patronizing, and I think that comes out in their behavior later. They tend to believe in more traditional gender roles, like he gets to be aggressive, funny, the life of the party, and you're supposed to be his quiet, uncomplaining, adoring companion.

Now, I don't want to confuse these guys with the basic "polite" ones - like I said, never got a bad vibe from a guy opening, say, a restaurant door for me (though watch out if he touches your back as you walk through the door, like you might get lost or something on your way in, lol), and certainly I like it when a guy will carry something for me when I'm really obviously struggling with it. But if he feels unmanly because I'm carrying a light grocery bag, well, bad news.

Ha ha - well, I DID say it was unscientific! Also, obviously I'm not going to run for the hills if some guy does any of these things - it's just odd that I've had 3 different experiences with guys like this and they ALL turned out the same way. But, yeah, that's clearly a pretty small sample size, lol.

I don't think you should tell him. To me that kind of defeats the purpose of him doing it, you know? If you like all of those things, you should look for a guy who does them naturally. But maybe he will do the rest - just not the car door thing. See how it progresses.

For a guy to do that....He just has to naturally has to do it... Hinting it would be pointless and make him feel forced.

Chivalry is dead and women killed it

The "Jerks" You said that did to it fall into one of two categories control freak or player that he knows women notice those little things and like it.

Comes natural to me since i grew up seeing my dad to that for my mom.

Rectich - I don't think that's correct. A lot of women won't even call themselves feminists these days - but I can tell you that anyone who does (myself included) does NOT want all of that stuff. I don't want to offend the OP, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that she's not exactly a women's rights activist.

Opening car doors for me and the like make me feel "less than". I don’t really like chivalry, but that's just me. If you want this, let him know. I have also found men who do this to be major players. Strange and it probably means nothing.

Example of how women killed it.....They want to be equal when its convenient lol

Most players arent that good to KNOW how much of an impact opening doors have anyways....lol

Rectich - You really need to read a history book - water fountains and bus seats were not women's issues. And, seriously, because she VOTES, she shouldn't ask a guy to open a door for her?!?! What is she's the type of woman who wants to stay home with the kids? Who likes to do all of the cooking/cleaning? Is she still a hypocrite then for asking for chivalry?

And DeviosOne - I have no idea how you read "Women only want equality when it's convenient" into someone's post who specifically stated that she DOESN'T want chivalry. That particular person was clearly stating that she wants equality accross the board - she doesn't want anything "extra" from men.

I can't figure out what the heck you guys are so upset about. Are you mad that you CAN'T open car doors or that you HAVE to? Which is it???

I love when guys say women killed chivalry - read your own posts! If that's how guys who open car doors think about women, then, yeah, you can keep it.

Finally, I don't think I'm a hypocrite when I ask a guy to carry something that I'm physically incapable of carrying myself - women and men aren't equal in physical strength. Is a guy a hypocrite because if we decide to have kids, he prefers that I be the one to push it out???

If there were a like button for this, I would like it.

Not to dis the ones who are actually genuine.

Archived