Life in the Driver's Seat

Seraphim

I wish I had a female member of my family to go to to talk about menopause, but my grandmothers are dead and have been for years. My mom had a hysterectomy at 33, they left her ovaries, but still she never had a period after 33 so she would know nothing about how that all happens during menopause and she went right away into hormone replacement because she has really declining bone density from an early age, in her 40's. I have no one else of family to ask, since I am the eldest of my generation in the family.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called my father, I was feeling guilty that I had not talked to him in almost 2 months. He is ok which is good. It seems he is getting along with my brother better which is good too because they have not in years. He went to my brother's house to play poker. He was telling me that my grand father is going to an assisted living facility because he keeps falling down. He is 92 and his family would prefer there were people around to help him when he needs it.

I saw a commercial last night something about "pet parents". It always makes me think what??? I mean I am all for being kind to animals and I love animals very much, but parent?? Um no. Treating an animal like a person creates behavoiral issues in the animals. This "pet parent" thing has always confused me.

I have been working on my singing and one song in particular, a Don Williams tune. I am used to singing in a much higher octave but I can sing lower but it needs more practice. I have done me alone and me to the music and me singing accompanying his voice. I am not sure which is better but I think it needs more work.

Yeah I heard about the little boy in Quebec. So sad!

I have not heard anything today. Did they find his body? I feel SO bad for his family. I just imagine his terror because he was/is mute and deaf and can not communicate if he needs help. I imagine his parents will probably divorce because he was left in one parent's care when it happened. I feel for his sister because she was left to care for him for a few mins.

I hope they can find peace.

Last year a toddler was killed when a relative backed up in the driveway. It actually didn't happen too far from our home.

My heart just broke for the family.

I can not think of anything more tragic and painful than losing your child.

I feel you. I had to go through an equally awful sit down dinner last night. Who does a unprepared multi course serving meal when young kids are around?! She had not prepared anything, she just expected us to wait for the supper the whole night while she cooked. I guess some people don't realize that little ones definetly need to be in bed before 9pm! My daughter goes to bed at 6h30-7h normally.

We just swallowed the cake and said bye - no coffee or tea time. It was my dad's birthday, so I felt like I had to stay until the cake and candle blow out.

I feel you. I had to go through an equally awful sit down dinner last night. Who does a unprepared multi course serving meal when young kids are around?! She had not prepared anything, she just expected us to wait for the supper the whole night while she cooked. I guess some people don't realize that little ones definetly need to be in bed before 9pm! My daughter goes to bed at 6h30-7h normally.

We just swallowed the cake and said bye - no coffee or tea time. It was my dad's birthday, so I felt like I had to stay until the cake and candle blow out.

Aww I am sorry Mousty. Yeah some people have no brains.

Well she has headed home. All in all it was not too bad.Yesterday we went to a city about an hour and a half from us which is much bigger because ours is so small. I got to go to The Bay as I had a gift card from there from Christmas but had not used yet. The item I wanted was on sale so I still have money on my gift card. We went to see a movie that my son wanted to see, Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 and then we went out for supper and came home and watched the second Jurassic Park on TV.

This morning I made everyone bacon and eggs and toast and my son some spaghetti. I cleared up and then she had to go.

Later we go to Mass and then start the week over again.

With all the talks of weddings on here and the Royal one, I am thinking of my own. My anniversary is only 3 weeks away. Not that we make too big a deal of it. I remember during the ceremony it was crazy but both my eyes had twitches in them, I sobbed through most of it so no one could hear me anyway, I could hear my mom crying right behind me. I could not hear anything else but I could hear her. I know my parents did not want me to marry him, maybe that is why she was crying, who knows.

I think the one thing that REALLY annoyed me was that during the reception when the parents welcome the new family my mother talked about HER impending new family. She got married again 6 months after I did. So her whole speech was about how SHE was getting married again. UM mom who cares. This is MY wedding and you have already had TWO. Let me have my day for God's sake.

My dad fought with me about he was NOT coming to the wedding if he did not get to sit on my side of the chapel. I had to tell him my impending step father did not want to sit near him and since my step dad was sitting with my mom, my dad could not sit there. The he fought with me about whether he was going to walk me down the ailse or not. I did not know if he would even show up. So I had my brother picked just in case even though my brother was the best man. My dad could not come to the reception either so he invited everyone to the bar next door to the chapel and then refused to pay. He just stood there and went, Nope, no money. Well of course when you invite you pay. My father in law went POSTAL. My husband's aunt paid for my father's fiasco.

My father's parents refused to show up because they could not go to the reception because it was at my mother's house and they were not allowed so they refused to go to the ceremony. Nice,not, but typical of my father's family.

My matron of honour refused to get the shoes that went with the outfit,....oh whatever was a small issue.

I will have to remember the good things about it.

Another annoying thing, our wedding cake, we had it in my mother's freezer when we went on our honeymoon,we get home 10 days later and the ENTIRE cake is GONE. Apparently my step dad had asked my mom if she thought I would mind if he had a piece. He LOVES LOVES LOVES desert. WELLLLL....she said I am sure she would not mind if you had a piece....well, then he took that and ran with it and had a piece for breakfast, lunch and supper and within 10 days the entire part of the cake that was left was GONE. I came home and came to get my cake and went WTH??!!

Oh yeah and my father's parents well I was the only grandchild who's wedding they did not attend. I was always on the outs with them anyway,because I look like my mother and I am close to my mother and her family. But thanks though folks I am your grandchild too.

My son has been talking about a religious life. I do not want to tell him what to be or what to do because he has to decide that. Secretly I am pretty happy about it. For whatever reason I have always seen my son as being someone great, that he would be someone great. Even a special resource teacher who very much helped shaped who he is said, " this boy is an old soul in a little body, and he is a throughbred and with the right direction he can do great things and I think he will."My son was talking more about being a priest this week. He said though he felt some guilt about it because he would not be able to carry on the family and he loves children so much. I told him that he has to do what is in HIS heart and only he and God knows what that is. If God is calling him to be a priest then that is what he should do. I know my grandmother who is long gone now, would very pleased with this direction.

He was also talking about being a priest for people in prison because they need compassion too. I told him of course they do. Everyone needs compassion.

Last night was not the best. My son has a bad cold or what have you. I gave him a tylenol night cold pill and he was bouncing off the walls half the night and throwing up the other half. So he is home today.

My husband called me this morning to say he was tech crew and they were flying off to Quebec this morning..........uh ok later gator.

Archived