Life in the Driver's Seat

Seraphim

You will of course always be a parent Vic. Your son is still young, so I wouldn't worry too much about being overly pushy.

If the issues are things for which you have no control over - ex: friends at school, then I would let him do his own mistakes and learn from them.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I am going to write a book, yup, I think so. I think it might help me figure out a situation that I have. If anything I will have a deeply personal and exciting story to remember.

I have always wanted to write a book and I have been writing since I was 11 years old pretty much.

Wow, this is exciting.

Totally exciting! I've always wanted to as well. Only the best idea I've ever come up with is a book where the main character is in a vegetative state but conscious and it describes the life of her husband and children as they grow up, as perceived by her. Hasn't that got to be the stupidest book idea you've ever heard? lol..

Maybe when you finish the book you'll let us read it.

It can be time consuming, yes, because if you do not spend some time on it you can loose the flow of ideas, know what I mean? I have time right now while my knee heals and when my son is at school. I have time right now too because I am not working but plan to take some other courses later on and have a change of employment.

Sometimes I find it easy to write and it just flows and at other times it is harder.

When I was younger I wrote 74 books with a friend but we never did anything with them. I have thrown them out now though because the paper had gone funny since this was long before the age of the computer.

I just love the written word and what it brings to the imagination and to life.

What do you do when you have a parent who is severely mentally ill? I love my dad, but at the same time he has been very abusive to my family and done some very evil things. I know he was not raised very well and had a pretty hard life most of his life. As an adult all his difficulties have been caused by his own behavoir. Is he really responsible though? That is the thing with severe mental illness, are they truly responsible? He has been out of my life most of my adult life mostly due to his own choices. I have seen him a little more the past 5 years. I only see him maybe twice a year though and now I do not live so close. I would love to be close to my dad, like some girls are close to their dad. I know that will never never happen though and I gave up on that about 15 years ago, but........sometimes part of me wishes. I feel guilty for not being in his life more but truly he does not really want me there or even any human being there, it is not just about me. He despises humanity.So he really deserves to be alone. My empathic part though can not accept this and I guess that is where the guilt comes from.

Wow is is hard to believe that next month I will have been married 17 years. Sometimes it feels forever and sometimes it feels like yesterday. It is just so hard to contemplate it has been that long. It is hard to believe that we met in 1989. Some people who are adults now were not even born yet when we met. That is amazing to contemplate.

I am excited about going home for my mom's birthday. We are having a nice dinner out with my mom and some of my other family. Her brother is coming and his two sons. My mom and my step dad and my foster sister and the new little foster girl my mom got last week. Me and my husband and my son. My brother won't be there because he will be in Portland for work. I am not sure if I am going to see my in-laws but my son misses both sets of grandparents so we will probably make a stop there too.

Doesn’t it depend, to a large degree, on whether or not they seek help? I come from a family of drug and alcoholic addicts. Some of them, my father included, put up an intense fight against it. Others didn’t and with those ones, we don’t necessarily feel guilty about not supporting.

I didn’t know your son was a visible minority. Don’t think you’ve ever mentioned it.

This should be wonderful! I know family means so much to you.

Yesterday we hung out with my brother and sister, and her family. All of us together, which feels really special because we had little to do with each other for many years (not because of conflicts but because of a destructive religion).

So your mother takes in foster children? This is my lifelong dream. How does she still have the energy?

Same man or new one?

Yay! Sunny and happy.

Well, great, I was bleaching the kitchen and I made the white paint on the window sill yellow. Now I have to repaint it.

Another just awesome...well, not, I suggested to my husband since he wants to visit his family on this trip home and he has a right to that we visit them and stay over on Thursday. They are my son's grandparents too after all, just not my fav people. That way we have more time to see his parents then if we just stopped for a few hours on Sunday. He really seemed happy with my idea. Then I see my mom Friday and Sat and we go home Sunday.

Odd too, when he goes to the "sandbox" he wants to take a lock of my hair he said, to carry in his wallet. He said it is an old tradition of warriors, to carry something of their lady with them.

Archived