Is short hair a turnoff for guys?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost always find long hair worn down - not up in a bun or otherwise not framing the face - very attractive. However, that is not the same as saying short hair is a turn-off. Pixie cuts and the like are just neutral, they're not going to make me dislike a woman's look. It's only very masculine cuts (i.e. buzz-cut) that are a negative.

Hiii! replying as a girl who has had long and very short hair.

I love both long and short hair on myself and have had it both lengths. As for guy's feedback- I do get more attention with long hair, even though fashion-wise and aesthetics wise, any beauty guru or hairdresser or model or whatever will tell me that short hair suits me much better. Basically, while most guys have different preferences- some guys WILL tell you they -hate- short hair and that it should be grown out, but very few will tell you they hate long.

I went from hair to my mid-back to like 1/2" long all over, like a buzz cut. LOL It was a bit of a shock when I did it, but the overall response was positive. My BF at the time LOVED short hair and it was a turn on, not a turn off, for him. I have since grown it back out and it is about butt-length now. My hubby LOVES my long hair and would probably not like it much if I went really short. But my hair also grows like crazy, so the maintenance on a short cut was too much for me.

As others have said, some women look really good with short hair, others do not. That said, some men really like short hair on women, some do not. It's really a personal thing. I really didn't notice any difference when I had short or long hair.

PS - I bet the cut looks really cute on you Ren!

I've had pixie-cut to midway down the back length hair, and when my hair was short I got a lot of compliments from women, but not really from men. I get many more compliments and looks from men when my hair is long, and most of my male friends have told me they prefer long hair that is worn down. I had a boyfriend when I cut my hair from mid-back to right below the ear, and he was disappointed. That being said, I think hair can look good in many different styles, and life is too short to stick to just one hair cut. I change my hair length pretty often.

My hair is long currently, (thank you prenatal vitamins) but I do want to do something fun and sexy for summer, just not sure which direction. I want to shorten it a bit but I need something with flair, something snazzy. LOL

My hair parts down the middle.

My hair is long currently, (thank you prenatal vitamins) but I do want to do something fun and sexy for summer, just not sure which direction. I want to shorten it a bit but I need something with flair, something snazzy. LOL

My hair parts down the middle.

How tall are you? Personally I think with shorter women, short hair looks good on them. I dunno.

If you get your hair cut with a stylist at a salon, have you thought about asking what they think might look good on you?

depends..there is a lady at my work and she is one of the most beautiful women ive ever seen and she has short hair...but i never saw her with long hair..i think sometimes it might be the shock effect of seeing someone with long hair go to short hair and gettiing used to it...some women can pull it off some can..just like some can pull of the relle long hair and some cant

How tall are you? Personally I think with shorter women, short hair looks good on them. I dunno.

If you get your hair cut with a stylist at a salon, have you thought about asking what they think might look good on you?

5'3......

Haven't thought much about what I want. I do know the boyfriend enjoys running his fingers through my long hair. LOL

As a general rule, though some women DO pull these off with style:

I dislike short hair (styles well above the neck) overall. Even bob cuts can look stupid if your hairdresser didn't frame your head right.

I dislike (very) curly hair overall (wavy hair is fine). There are a fair number of women who pull it off, but if you look like you're permed and lazy, well.....NO. BAD.

It depends on the girl. I typically prefer longer hair at least shoulder length. But I have found some women to be incredibly attractive with short hair. It only seems to work with certain kinds of women with certain kinds of faces though. Any hair style has to fit the person in order to look good.

A girl that I work with normally wears her hair short but then she came in one day with a haircut much shorter. It didn't look good on her at all, actually made her look more man'ish.

That's my biggest worry. I like short hair, but I worry that my haircut might look more "man'ish". My stylist assured me that this cut wouldn't look "man'ish"

That's my biggest worry. I like short hair, but I worry that my haircut might look more "man'ish". My stylist assured me that this cut wouldn't look "man'ish"

Do you wear makeup? If you're worried about looking "manish", maybe try to kick up your femininity a notch in other areas, for example in makeup or wardrobe (including jewelry and accessories). It will help you look and feel more feminine.

Do you wear makeup? If you're worried about looking "manish", maybe try to kick up your femininity a notch in other areas, for example in makeup or wardrobe (including jewelry and accessories). It will help you look and feel more feminine.

and that is actually a great idea. Some sexy lipstick, *whistle*

I don't wear makeup.

I am going to try to dress more feminine as it gets warmer. I already picked up a nice sundress to wear. I just hope I have the guts to wear it. I worry about showing too much of myself since I am still a bit chunky.

I've had hair down to my butt when I was in my twenties, and it suited me. I had shoulder-length hair in my thirties, and it suited me. In my forties I started to wear it short, and it suits me. My bf LOVES long hair, but tells me I look much better in chin-length hair. I love having short hair, takes me just a minute to do it in the morning and it looks really good! If I didn't look good in short hair, I'd wear it long. Guys love both, it just depends on how it looks on you. I love long hair on guys, but my bf of 11 years is going bald and has short hair. It looks good on him, so I like it.

I don't wear makeup.

I am going to try to dress more feminine as it gets warmer. I already picked up a nice sundress to wear. I just hope I have the guts to wear it. I worry about showing too much of myself since I am still a bit chunky.

Go for it!! You've lost weight haven't you? Celebrate that new figure What about heels or platforms? I don't wear really high heels or platforms (I'd fall flat on my face), only about a 1.5" heel, but even when I wear them I automatically feel leaner and sexier, and therefore more feminine. Also, you don't have to wear much makeup if that's not your thing but what about a little lipgloss or mascara? They can make quite a difference to the face.

Archived