Does life have meaning for you?

brahman

I have been reading up on some philosophy/psychology lately and wanted to know what others thought.

I believe that everyone should have a meaning in life, something that makes that person feel like they are here for a reason.

Some literature I have come accross talks about letting go and realize that happiness/contentedness only occurs if you cause it to occur. Outside events do nothing but trick you into have emotion that you can have on your own. But I don't agree with this, I believe that it is events unknown to you, people, jobs, ideas, etc that show you the way, a way that you couldn't get on your own. I think it is a fallacy to think that the best life you can have will be achieved by giving up going after the love of your life, or some other goal like helping others(maybe even your self). I often see those people who try to think esoterically and don't believe any event or person can help them to have a better life, but more often than not it is just a bunch of people who are searching for an answer and because they didn't find it the other way, then they just give up and swear that it is all a scam created by society or something.

I know I rambled, but thanks for listening, comment back if you have some good points, maybe something that goes against what I said, or goes with, it don't matter.

I don't know that having a meaningful life requires being happy all the time or requires the pursuit of happiness. For me, personally (and this is not to judge anyone else!!) it is about inner peace and feeling a "rightness". I don't expect other people and events to "make me" happy but I am open to being inspired by and learning from other people and events and making things happen by pursuing a goal, or taking some action to further what I can learn and be inspired from.

Often what I find inspirational and a learning experience is being a good listener and helping other people. For example, to me finding a good mentor requires being a good mentee, meaning, a proactive one who looks for ways to add value to and enrich her mentor's life.

I don't relate well to abstractions or long discussions about abstractions divorced from actions-- to me, spirituality is an active process - "feeling" spiritual a byproduct of those actions that have a meaningful purpose. A meaningful life isn't like a carwash of pleasant feelings washing over you, at least to me.

I believe that everyone should have a meaning in life

I agree Brahman, with what you say.

However, let's see if I can simplify.

The idea is to place "attention" on the present, and "intention" on the future (what you would call a goal). It might seem like stating the obvious, but what we do today, in the present, greatly configures the "tomorrow".

The confusion arises where people think: "the future is going to be that way because I WANT it to be that way". LOL. Wrong. Life is full of twists and turns, and I can tell you that the stretch between the "now", and the "intended goal" will for certain throw up stuff where you may not make it to that particular goal you are set upon.

Many people have this extraordinary and insane notion that they can not only foretell their future (quite laughable if you think of it), but that, like some kind of god, they are going to manipulate the future (the unknown!) in line with the way they want it to be.

"The past is history, the future is a mystery and all we have is the present". That does not mean giving up and sitting atop a pole in the desert. It means, if you like, making good decisions in the now, learning in the now, accumulating knowledge in the now which will be helpful in that unknown future.

H

People are so consumed with their personal future, always believing and hoping for a better future, they live in their heads already in the future, that they totally forget about the present they are living in.

I think we all have a purpose, and it is good to have goals, but when you are so caught up in what might be you easily miss the steps getting there, since you are so busy always wanting more and the what could be.

People get frustrated, inpatient, unhappy and give up. Na with that missing out on their meaning. I think that is what society has become...always unhappy and wanting more and therefore never finding their true meaning. If that makes sense.

I personally always thought the white picket fence, that perfect family the great career is meaning. Well, that is not true, that is what gets put in our head's early on in life. It didn't take me too long to find out that my purpouse is to be a mother and taking care of a family. I know I am smart enough to go to medical or law school, but I would never be really happy. I just be trying to prove myself. I think I make just as much of a difference in the life of the people I take care of, and that is my purpose, and that is fine.

Life has meaning for me and everyday I'm slowly working towards trying to discover what that meaning is and the purpose behind it. Sometimes I feel like I'll never uncover the answer, but I don't see that as a reason for me not to continue to try to discover one. I just wonder things like, what's the purpose of a 12-year old kid being hit by a drunk driver and killed? What's the purpose of a father abandoning his children? What is the purpose of racism and inequality? Why are we the most powerful nation on the face of the planet but yet can't provide jobs to keep people afloat and off the street? Why IS life so hard?

I am a former girl scout and we were taught to leave the campsite better than we found it. The campsite represents my surroundings, especially people. Pursuing this goal brings an abundance of meaning to my life and being responsible to myself as part of this campsite allows me to better myself as well. Think about it, we don't own the campsite we merely borrow it for a short time. I am here to make a positive difference for myself and others. This requires paying constant attention to the here and now in order to adapt to changing circumstances. Happiness is success, and it's surprisingly simple (not always easy) to obtain.

I like what everyone is saying. I wanted to clarify something that was obviously not put in my original post.

I am not necessarily talking about the future only, this actually relates to the now as well. Like if you currently have someone in your life, or you are currently doing a task like helping others, or you are currently the next Brad Pitt, that gives you a reason. Like right now I am currently doing exactly what I want to be doing, and actually, I am trying to become a person who can do this x100. But then again, if the act of actually searching for who you are and what you want gives you meaning, then I believe that is acceptable too, I use to be in that place.

And that reason doesn't have to be that it makes you happy, it is not about happy, I only use the word happy so others could relate. Most people don't want to be content(feeling right with themselves), they want to be happy, but I agree with some other posts, it is not about some eternal happiness.

Life has meaning for me, but I don't believe nor feel I am here for some big reason.

That is the "why" question, why are we alive, why are we what we are, why why why. ?

I don't think it's necessarily to give a solid answer to those questions. It's enough to accept as is.

The meaning comes from living. Basically doing the best with what is, what you are, where you are.

Just trying to survive and live in a healthy way gives meaning. Trying to learn.

My life has more meaning and purpose than ever before because I am expecting a baby. I cannot wait to be a mother and to educate my son/daughter in the ways of the world.

Before that, my purpose in life was to help people around me and be caring. I really enjoy being liked and helping people gave me great satisfaction.

However, now, after growing emotionally, I no longer live my life for others happiness, but am making decisions and concentrating on my own happiness.

I am starting to really believe in fate and that when things happen to you good or bad, it is leading you somewhere and teaching you something all of the time.

I personally believe it is dangerous when each and every person starts believing that they are here for some grand meaning, reason or purpose.

Not always, but sometimes.

Let me explain, because I know it may sound a bit harsh... and of course this is my opinion.

Feeling your purpose in life is ultimately your own choosing. Though many people have spiritual experiences, intense moments, or series of events in which they end up saying they then felt a path or meaning "chose" them... they do in turn choose their path too. We make our decisions and we follow our actions.

When someone may feel so righteously guided in a purpose - a meaning in life.... they can sometimes end up feeling justified in actions that can end up harming other people. Such events have happened many times throughout history. One of the most well known examples, of course, is Adolf Hitler.

Of course I realize that sounds scary and extreme... and it is perfectly possible to feel meaning in your life without taking it to any extreme. But a feeling expressed in the OP for me is the NEED for meaning and purpose... the need to feel justified.

No... I don't NEED to have meaning in my life.....but by choosing to live with integrity... I feel I do automatically, no matter what path I end up on. I tend to feel as waveseer and itsallgrand have posted. Becoming smarter, wiser, happier and loving those around me and the world I live in give my life the purpose I seek.

I am a former girl scout and we were taught to leave the campsite better than we found it. The campsite represents my surroundings, especially people. Pursuing this goal brings an abundance of meaning to my life and being responsible to myself as part of this campsite allows me to better myself as well. Think about it, we don't own the campsite we merely borrow it for a short time. I am here to make a positive difference for myself and others. This requires paying constant attention to the here and now in order to adapt to changing circumstances. Happiness is success, and it's surprisingly simple (not always easy) to obtain.

Life has meaning for me, but I don't believe nor feel I am here for some big reason.

That is the "why" question, why are we alive, why are we what we are, why why why. ?

I don't think it's necessarily to give a solid answer to those questions. It's enough to accept as is.

The meaning comes from living. Basically doing the best with what is, what you are, where you are.

Just trying to survive and live in a healthy way gives meaning. Trying to learn.

I personally believe it is dangerous when each and every person starts believing that they are here for some grand meaning, reason or purpose.

Not always, but sometimes.

I completely agree, it is hard to think about it, but some people can only feel their very best by torture, and murder, and a million other evil things. It is unwise to believe that everyone is inherently good, because I mix of bad genetics, dysfunctional upbringing, and general poor choices can create an inherently bad person. I may be a dreamer, and I may want to fly, but that doesn't mean I am going to jump off a cliff and spread my wings any time soon(in a literal sense).

I completely agree, it is hard to think about it, but some people can only feel their very best by torture, and murder, and a million other evil things. It is unwise to believe that everyone is inherently good, because I mix of bad genetics, dysfunctional upbringing, and general poor choices can create an inherently bad person. I may be a dreamer, and I may want to fly, but that doesn't mean I am going to jump off a cliff and spread my wings any time soon(in a literal sense).

Precisely.....which is why I've come to think instead that it isn't so important to urge anyone to have an over-inflated sense of confidence, purpose or anything of the sort .... but rather just a sense of humility and intelligence and how to make the right choices. Someday as a parent I would hope to instill the same thing.

• 1 year later...
Precisely.....which is why I've come to think instead that it isn't so important to urge anyone to have an over-inflated sense of confidence, purpose or anything of the sort .... but rather just a sense of humility and intelligence and how to make the right choices. Someday as a parent I would hope to instill the same thing.

I agree with this too. I think the question is too broad so my answer is "yes of course" but because of its broadness I think answers tend to be abstract.

Lots of great responses in this thread.

I'm not sure I really like the word 'meaning'. I'm not sure life has that much 'grand' meaning, and I don't think that each of us has a 'grand' purpose. For me, it's about feeling at peace with myself and the world. I think there are external and internal dimensions to that.

Externally, I thrive when a) I have a job I find interesting and which I can learn from, b) that I have some good people around me, and c) that I don't have to constantly worry about covering basic expenses such as rent, bills and food.

Internally, it's about being whole, and aligning your emotional, intellectual and bodily sensations. It's about achieving integrity. When you have that integrity, it becomes so much easier to relate to everything around you. To the extent that I strive for 'meaning', I think it's this. It is also this state of mind which in turn helps me live ethically in relation to the external world.

Archived