I have always been prone to fainting since childhood. My main triggers for setting off fainting spells is the sight of blood or being in physical pain. At school, I often use to faint in the playground whenever I fell down and scraped my knee, or if i saw other kids injured in any way, it would knock me out and I would be on the ground passed out. The injured kids in question didn't probably even feel their own injuries but yeh it would effect me deeply.

Over the years, in high school it got better. And the sight of my own blood didn't bother me as much (Menstrual cycle) and i still would feel faint hearted but not actually faint. Although, i vaguely do remember passing out in the class where our biology teacher was giving a lesson on periods, also the lesson about reproduction/birth.

Again, after a while i became immune to this and talks about such things did still make me feel faint hearted, but not faint. I was extremely happy with myself because i thought i'd conquered it.

I was wrong!

It came back again, but this time in a different form! I found that I would start feeling dizzy and faint hearted when under stress or pressure. Like for instance... exams, or if a member of family was ill (not even close family, distance relatives too, like so and so's grandmother who i may not have even seen).

I've seen doctors about this (not a good idea, because they send me to get blood tests done, and i always end up fainting even before the needle goes into me) and they just tell me to eat lots of fruits and take vitamins etc. The problem is still there and i don't know how to make my heart stronger. Last couple of years i have gone through severe emotional upset and pain and i think that has made it worse. Lately its been fluttering a lot and i think its because of the heat. Any sudden bad/sad news just sets off my dizziness and i have to quickly lay down or put my head down, and it doesn't always stop the fainting. It's worse if im out or not in familiar surroundings. Anxiety also sets it off.

Im researching smelling salts, apparently some salts stop you from fainting or make you come round quicker once a person has fainted. I think it will help me if i carry these in my handbag or keep them with me. It would make me feel a bit safer.

Has anyone on here used smelling salts or anything herbal to stop/prevent fainting?

Why did the doctors think you were fainting?

Is there a medical reason e.g. low blood pressure?

I'm not sure smelling salts would help deal with the underlying issue. Apparently they contain amonia which is toxic if inhaled over a long period, see link removed

You could try more natural essential oils e.g. lavender, eucalyptus link removed

What you've described about yourself and situation is almost identical to mine.

I have a bad tendency of fainting or becoming queasy at things that other people seem to have no response to. I remember well passing out in high school biology and P.E. class when it came to blood or anything remotely related. Not fun at all to say the least.

The best way I've learned to manage the situation, isn't the easiest way by any means. What I tend to do is intentionally desensitize myself to things that provoke my anxieties. Thinking in depth about and visualizing a scenario that caused me to pass out or have a panic attack, tends to provoke the same feelings. If you pass out or become dizzy at the thought, but go right back thinking about it, eventually it is as though the body gives up and acts like it isn't a threat anymore, or at least as bad. Then you can start broader associations until they provoke less to no response. Takes awhile, but it does help greatly.

You did mention that the problem had seemed to lessen, then returned with vigor in different forms. For myself, this is identical to the problem I had. It comes and goes in waves. One time I may pass out, another it may be the form of a panic attack from stress, but its expression never seems to be constant other than causing discomfort one way or another.

After explaining this to my doctor, my blood sugar was suspect due to the oddball panic attacks and other classic symptoms. It was tested (finger pr ick test) as I was coming around after passing out once and needless to say it had bottomed out. Part of the problem ended up being that my blood sugar was affected by adrenaline and diet. When adrenaline was released due to stress or seeing something sickening, my sugar went down with that knocking me out instead of the sight or environment itself. Then those times when I had consumed more sugar, the panic attacks and sickening feelings were intensified with even the most minor happenings. Once my diet was changed to a high protein, low sugar situation, the changes were tremendous and made life a lot easier. Now, I usually tote a peppermint around for panic attacks (gradually get sugar in and reduces the chance of a massive drop/induce fainting), and a high protein item if I do pass out and the sugar is low. I don't quite recall now what it was, but there is a correlation between high protein snacks and stabilizing one's blood sugar.

As for herbs and smelling salts, depending where you live, you might check out a health store or herbalist. I've heard that St. John's Wort can help panic attacks, but I myself have never tried it, so I can't attest to its benefits or lack there of. Where I'm located, we have a natural foods store that specializes in a wide selection of herbs, and each has its distinct purpose labeled along with dose information, and the owners are knowledgeable about their uses. Perhaps researching, calling, or stopping by such stores might be worth the time.

For smelling salts, they do work if they're used here and there. I know when I get bloodwork done, I'll request smelling salts if I start feeling off and it has worked to keep me conscious every time. To my understanding, one can potentially "overdose" on smelling salts and cause injury due to the ammonium content, so they're not recommended for heavy, regular use.

Archived