Is musical talent attractive to women?

Bluesman89

Thanks for the responses. Can't reply to everyone as I hope you can understand.

One question. Would you disregard a woman because she wasn't particularly musical?

No, I definitely wouldn't. It would be a bonus if she appreciates my chosen style of music though. And as a matter of fact I made a thread a while ago about coming accross such a woman (who was into the same music as me and saw me play) that I felt I had let slip away...

ibu, yes I can sing SOME songs, depending on their style. Johnny b Goode for example I can sing alright. Did a cover of that song (well more the Hendrix version) for a college project. Don't usually sing live though.

I'm quite amazed at the amount of women that find it attractive tbh. Just doesn't exactly seem that way when I'm performing.. THen again it's hard to say for sure because I generally don't approach women.

I just graduated from music school. I play saxophone. Music is how I met my first girlfriend and the girl I'm dating now. It's not about music, really, but letting people see you do what you enjoy that allows you to be yourself. It's about doing what excites you. Fortunately, being a performing artist requires confidence. And women dig confidence. I've learned a lot about confidence and being myself from throwing myself into the music.

Some women have a hard time dating musicians, and some can do it. For musicians who do it for their career, it's more about lifestyle than about music. Like, it takes the right kind of person to understand the work demands of a musician. Gigs, practicing, touring (if you tour), et cetera. I'm dating a musician right now. Well, she's not quite as serious of musician that I am, but she plays/sings music, no less. I think it's cool to have someone to relate to on a deeper level like that. At the same time, I have musician friends who have dated musicians and say that, depending on the person, it can be quite intense.

I've dated a non-musician before. It was refreshing, but she had no interest in talking about music that we just didn't have anything big in common. Again, I think it depends on the person. I have a few friends who are musicians and are married to non-musicians and it all works out fine. It's about being with someone who respects and supports you and can talk about it, but doesn't necessarily HAVE to play music. But, for me, since it's such a big part of my life, she's got to understand how important it is to me. I don't play music to get girls/women. I'm not a rock star. Like I said, though, women dig confidence.. and musicians generally have confidence in what they do. The performing arts in general requires confidence.

My two cents.

I have to say I'm surprised to read that guys actually learn to play an instrument with the sole reason of trying to attract women ......... is this for real??

I would say that generally this is not the case. Yes you do find some who pick up an instrument just to impress the women, but you won't find those kind of people putting real dedication into the instrument and so will generally not be very good at it.

easyguy, thanks for sharing your experience.

Fortunately, being a performing artist requires confidence.

Yes this is true, but I feel it is a different kind of confidence. Off stage I myself am not a confident person at all. As you said, the benifit of an instrument is that you can express yourself through your playing. I am completely at ease on stage with my guitar in hand, yet without it I feel instantly insecure.

I've dated a non-musician before. It was refreshing, but she had no interest in talking about music that we just didn't have anything big in common. Again, I think it depends on the person. I have a few friends who are musicians and are married to non-musicians and it all works out fine. It's about being with someone who respects and supports you and can talk about it, but doesn't necessarily HAVE to play music. But, for me, since it's such a big part of my life, she's got to understand how important it is to me.My two cents.

I agree with this post, and in my case, my husband also plays piano, and it's fun to get feedback from him on a particular piece that I have been working on as far as my improvement, etc. He understands the draw to the instrument. Although neither of us are professional musicians.

Bluesman:

I would answer yes, given that musical talent also, or often, seems to go hand in hand with charisma.

For example you can't get much uglier than Sir Mick Jagger, and little ole Bono is no oil painting either. Yet they have an atttraction.

H

Archived