At what age do babies normally do this?

My youngest son is 10 months old and he can actually do inclined sit ups without using his hands. I don't mean a baby sitting up. I mean he does actual sit ups. He also grabs onto things like crib railings or other overhead items and pulls up without using his legs. I don't recall when my other kids did this but it never stood out to me as being early like this one. Is it common? It's really surprising because he's kinda chunky. He was born 10 lbs 2oz.

I think that 10 months is pretty much in line with Landon. He started doing pull ups, just using his arms at about 9 to 10 months and actual sit up a little later probably closer to 11 months. Landon is very muscular and he's really strong. Even though your son is chunky, which is normal, sounds like he's very strong too. Which is great. Once he starts walking, he will lose alot of the chunkiness and then the muscles he's working to develop will really show!!

Kids are all pretty different. I noticed boys usually tend to start crawling and walking earlier than girls. My little boy was standing up and started walking around grasping furniture at 6 months. My girl only started doing that at 9 months.

There isn't anything to worry about unless he's being very delayed in other areas such as speech. Though he's not delayed, he's a late later - so it's just something you might want to watch out for.

Yup, my agreement with the other posters, every baby will hit the milestones at different times. Sounds like you have a strong little boy there!! A little odd that he seems to not be using his legs (hope I understood your post correctly) and seems to be usung mostly his upper body to pull up and sit up, but you also have to remember this is all new to them. Us humans don't come out with the instant knowledge of how to walk, maneuver, etc, so the little ones do whatever they can to get the end result. My daughter didn't crawl at all until almost 11 months, then did a modified crab crawl on one knee and one foot for a month or so, then was off and running! All in all your boy sounds just fine, if you have concerns maybe bring it up at the next well baby visit at 12 months? Or if it is that worrying, give a call to the pediatricians office, they expect questions from us parents!

My youngest son is 10 months old and he can actually do inclined sit ups without using his hands. I don't mean a baby sitting up. I mean he does actual sit ups. He also grabs onto things like crib railings or other overhead items and pulls up without using his legs. I don't recall when my other kids did this but it never stood out to me as being early like this one. Is it common? It's really surprising because he's kinda chunky. He was born 10 lbs 2oz.

Whoa! That is a good-sized boy. He must be adorable. Mine was just under 10lbs at birth and I thought THAT was big!

At that age (10 months) my son had stronger legs than arms. One day he just stood up in the middle of the room and walked accross it without holding on to anything at 11 months. His arms caught up later. He is 2 now and the other day I saw him grab on to my window box of flowers, pull up, and then swing from it like a monkey.

The energy they have is unreal.

He also grabs onto things like crib railings or other overhead items and pulls up without using his legs

I do recall incidents in which my son would try to do that- but if he lost his grip, his legs were not able to save from falling, and he'd end up banging his mouth on whatever he was climbing up on. I hated when that happened!

As long as he does use his legs and arms, I wouldn't be worried....meaning, if he can stand while holding on to something, it shouldn't be a concern. My oldest could push himself up with his legs when he was about 4 weeks old All you would have to do is hold him under his arms and he would be able to stand for about a minute....pulled himself to standing at about 4 months. He started walking around furniture or holding on to your hands at about 5 months and on his own at about 7 months.

As long as he does use his legs and arms, I wouldn't be worried....meaning, if he can stand while holding on to something, it shouldn't be a concern. My oldest could push himself up with his legs when he was about 4 weeks old All you would have to do is hold him under his arms and he would be able to stand for about a minute....pulled himself to standing at about 4 months. He started walking around furniture or holding on to your hands at about 5 months and on his own at about 7 months.

WOW!

Yeah my son does use his legs too. He has been walking since about 9 months and is into e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. It's just strange to see a baby moving things around like a little brute. My other two kids were also walking early but never showed the strength that my youngest does.

Archived