Slightly confusing and I don't know how to approach it

pumpkinmoon

My boyfriend and I returned back to his house from a night out a while ago. After talking to his parents he told me that he had some bad news and that his brother had driven into my car causing some damage. He told me not to worry about it and that his father would pay to have my car repaired. I wasn't angry at all because it was an accident.

As time went on it was mentioned a few times but nothing was done and then it just stopped getting mentioned so I thought it was forgotten about. My boyfriend was going to get intouch with a friend of his who works at a garage repairing bodywork.

Today as I was leaving his house I mentioned that we will have to get my car sorted out soon. I wasn't in a hurry but now it's been about 3/4 months since it happened and it's annoying me because I can't clean my car as the paint is split and flaking where the dent is.

After I had mentioned it, he asked me how many years no claims I had on my car (you can claim 3 times I think) but I told him I wasn't willing to claim on my insurance because my premium would go up. He then said that if I do that, his father would cover the difference in price.

I really don't want to do this for a few reasons. What if I do it and then my car gets damaged 2 more times? I will then lose my no claims discount. Another reason I don't want to do it is because if anything happens between us and we split up, I don't want to have any ties to the family or him.

I just don't know what to do about this at all...

I did get an estimate a few weeks after it happened but at that time my boyfriend was talking about his friend repairing it at a good price. Ideally they wanted to replace the whole wing of the car which would cost around £1000, but a repair would cost just under £500.

Oh, how irresponsible. This kind of shows his character, I think. Make the appointment and tell him how his lack of action about an important money matter is hurting you. Insurance premiums are NOT fun and he certainly isn't doing anything to mediate the problem, much less take any real action.

Archived