bartending?

so... I have always been fascinated by bartending and want to learn/work it.

I have never worked in bartending before. How does one go for it? (I don't need to be paid for it. I rather want to do it for fun on weekends).

Any ideas folks?

Why would you want to do it for free when you could get paid? It seems like quite hard work.

Look around for job vacancies, obviously positions where there's no experience needed. Or you could send bars/clubs your CV or better still, pop in and ask if there's anything going.

welll... I was thinking more like getting some training at a job somewhere first.

Chances are, a bar isn't going to hire a bartender with no previous experience which is why I suggested the wedding route. Then, once you've done a few, you can say you've bartended weddings and have SOME experience.

There are also classes you can take, which would make it more likely to get hired at a place with no prior experience.

I've worked in the food service for a very long time and have never seen them hire a bartender with no experience. What they WILL do, though, is train waitstaff in downtime so you might consider that route?

Yes. That's correct Jengh. I will keep that mind. Although I am not originally from the US, so don't have a big established base of friends here (i.e. not many opportunities for friends' weddings).

I guess I will try to find some training places or places that train on the job.

Does anyone know if there are websites or schools specific for such jobs/trainings?

Thanks for the help folks

eh. school schmool. are you into the bar scene? befriend a couple of bartenders, tell them you're looking for a job and are new with the whole thing. they usually let you start off on a slow night and you can work your way up.

it's a fast pace job. but it pays well. wear low cut tops, be friendly and smile!

eh. school schmool. are you into the bar scene? befriend a couple of bartenders, tell them you're looking for a job and are new with the whole thing. they usually let you start off on a slow night and you can work your way up.

it's a fast pace job. but it pays well. wear low cut tops, be friendly and smile!

I think OP is a guy, but whatever works!

one more thing is since I am working in US on a work VISA, I won't be able to do a bartending job that pays me ... so that's why my only option would be to find a gig that allows me to work for free and the other option is to go to a bartending school.

Bartending schools are not all the expensive if you look around. I know they advertise around here for $200. The rest is really working with your customers and knowing how to make "Bartending schools" they are also SCAMS for your money.

You don't need to go to bartending school to become a bartender. I've known plenty of good bartenders (including my sister who isn't even 21) who didn't go, work in high demanding places and make $200 or more a night. You just need to know the restaurant/club business and work your way up. Most places now have drink recipes on a computer AT the bar already so that they don't need a bartender who went through training.

most start off as beer-backs. they tend to the bartenders needs. ie. getting bottles from the back, stocking ice, cleaning, etc. you must learn all the drinks from them first. most bars don't require a license, just the experience. a bartending license just means you wasted money on a class.

Archived