I'm freaking out

My 7 year old daughter is going to have elective surgery on May 11th for a pebble stuck in her knee from a fall on the playground. It got lodged in during the healing process. I'm so afraid of her dying from the anathesia I can't even tell you how scared I am.

Not only is she having surgery it's happening during finals week, the week I specifically told my ex husband not to schedule it for. I don't have a final on that day but still what was he thinking? Her dance recital is the following weekend, he should have logically scheduled it after the dance recital but no! And if she does die I would have lost both my children during finals week.

God I hope she makes it through, I'm so scared of losing her. I love her to pieces. I don't want anything to happen to her.

I'm sure she will be fine but best wishes to her. I'd be freaking out just as much if my daughter had to go through anything like that.

Is the anesthesia something absolutely necessary for this type of surgery? Have you talked to the anesthesiologist or at least with the doctor?

Yes I have spoke with the doctor and he says the wound is too big to do it under local, she likely wouldn't be still long enough for him to complete the work. I'm just really scared. He said it'll be worse for us than for her, she'll feel like she's asleep.

Some people do like the euphoric feeling of coming out of it while at least from my own experience I felt very groggy and felt like my body was forcing me to sleep. She'll need a lot of rest either way.

I'm sure she will be well taken care of with doctors and all sorts of monitoring devices during the surgery. Again I do wish her the very best and speedy recovery.

Jetta, have you ever been under general anesthesia? I was just under a couple of months ago for oral surgery. I came out ok. I also went under when I was 4 to have my tonsils removed, and at 16 to have my appendix out, and at 18 to have my wisdom teeth out.

My little godson was also just under to have tubes put in his ears for chronic ear infections. He is 20 months old and he came out just fine too.

She will be ok. She will feel much better once the pebble is out. Honestly the part kids dislike the most is getting the needle for the IV. It's so much better for her to be asleep for this surgery if the doc thinks the wound is too large. She'll be tired once she comes out of surgery, but she will be back to her old self soon.

Just be sure to follow the guidelines about fasting before the surgery. No food or drink- otherwise she may get nauseous once she wakes up.

I am sure she will be ok. Try and keep positive. I am sure though he can not tell a surgeon when to book an operation. Surgeons and hospitals do operations when they have time not when the patient has time. I know this must be SO scary for you after losing your son. She will be ok! I will pray she comes through just fine that day. I will say prayers at every Mass I go to that she will be fine. Hugs

Yes I have spoke with the doctor and he says the wound is too big to do it under local, she likely wouldn't be still long enough for him to complete the work. I'm just really scared. He said it'll be worse for us than for her, she'll feel like she's asleep.

Wow, must be a big wound. I was under local anesthesia getting my wisdom teeth out, I can't imagine a pebble being much harder to get out than 4 giant teeth. Then again, I can't really imagine getting a pebble in your knee so bad that you would need surgery, so I guess it must be necessary & the Dr knows best.

You are understandably worried but this seems like a low risk of her dying from this procedure. Did you have a child die during your finals week previously? I can see why you would have anxiety that you will relive that whole thing. At least it's coming up soon so you guys can just get it over with!

Why are you worried about her dying from anesthesia? That's VERY rare.

It's there to keep the pain away.

I am VERY sensitive to drugs and usualy have extremly altered expriences/side affects on them, like children's tylenol trips me out. If anything, you'd think I'd be the one who should worry about dying with that.

I had to be on it when I got a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I went under and was totally fine, it was even stronger than general.

All I know was when I woke up I kept asking when I'd get the procedure done lol.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've never heard of someone being worried about dying under anesthesia though. You shouldn't be, she'll be okay.

Why are you worried about her dying from anesthesia? That's VERY rare.

It's there to keep the pain away.

I am VERY sensitive to drugs and usualy have extremly altered expriences/side affects on them, like children's tylenol trips me out. If anything, you'd think I'd be the one who should worry about dying with that.

I had to be on it when I got a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I went under and was totally fine, it was even stronger than general.

All I know was when I woke up I kept asking when I'd get the procedure done lol.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've never heard of someone being worried about dying under anesthesia though. You shouldn't be, she'll be okay.

People are afraid all the time of dying from anaesthesia Rose. There are members of her family allergic to general anesthetic. Both my parents are as well and have almost DIED on the operating table. Also too she just lost her son barely months ago. I think she has a right to feel what she does and that she might lose her daughter. When you lose a child you VERY carefully guard the one you have left.

OMG. That's awful! I didn't know she lost her son!! How did that happen???

I didn't know anyone in her family is allergic to anesthesia.

Than in that case, that would make it dangerous. Nobody in my family, or anyone I know, is allergic.

How do you get allergic, or find out you are to something like that?

I always thought they DONT put you under, or use something else for people that are allergic.

Archived