So it's occurred to me only recently (oblivious much!?) that the reason I've been called "clumsy" "shaky" and "rushed" for all of my life (seriously, some people can't keep up with me and I hate it) is most likely because I drink A LOT of coffee... I never felt the affects, probably because I drink so much of it. I can have 3 cups between 6-9pm, and fall asleep at 9:30...

Growing up I lived with my french grandma and it was normal to drink black coffee.. So from about age 5 I drank black coffee, and now at 22 I drink 1-10 cups of black or white coffee A DAY (no sugar, soy or rice milk)

I know an easy solution is to just not buy coffee, but I WANT COFFEE. I love it. I'm psycho. Not having coffee would be like any other drug withdrawal for me and I've been through a few. Coffee is literally the only vice I have left since quitting cigarettes a week or more ago, all drugs a few months ago, and alcohol about a year ago!

Ugh. What to do? Quit? Cold turkey? Try and limit to 1 a day (what's the point?) Not care? Accept the fact that I am a bit edgy, anxious, and rushed all the time?

Kinda funny that some of the characteristics people would use to describe you really just come from drinking too much coffee!

I would just start to limit it. Drink one less cup a day for a little while, get used to that, drink 2 less cups a day, get used to that, and son on... (What Taikero said)

Or find a replacement maybe. Tea? Some other beverage you enjoy? Pour yourself a glass of that every time you want a coffee. I have no idea if that will work for you, seeing as you've been drinking coffee since 5 years old! Your energy might temporarily drop too, but I think it will balance again.

I love tea, too. Infact I make and brew my own concoctions and have about 20-30 different kinds in my cupboard... But one cup of cocoa & peppermint, or a cup of green & mint.. and I'm done.. I don't want anymore.. and even if I have five cups of tea in a day, I will STILL drink at least 4 cups of coffee!

I could slowly cut back, but coffee is my best friend. I would miss coffee dearly.

I love tea, too. Infact I make and brew my own concoctions and have about 20-30 different kinds in my cupboard... But one cup of cocoa & peppermint, or a cup of green & mint.. and I'm done.. I don't want anymore.. and even if I have five cups of tea in a day, I will STILL drink at least 4 cups of coffee!

I could slowly cut back, but coffee is my best friend. I would miss coffee dearly.

I don't see a problem...if you want to drink coffee, drink it. If you've been having it your whole life, I would think your system is pretty immune to it by now. If you are clumsy, I don't think it's the coffee causing it. Good luck if you want to quit but I never will.

It was so hard for me to quit! Even when you get to a point where you don't need it to stay awake anymore, you crave the taste of it, and then the dependence comes right back. =/

What helped for me was gradually switching to decaf. Whenever I brewed up some coffee, I'd mix decaf and regular together.

Coffee addict + nicotine addict = little ball of stress and energy! lol. That used to be me, too.

Well since you are off the smokes now - that coffee is going to hit you twice as hard as far as anxiety/shakiness. BUT, you may well get even more cravings for it as there is something there that mimics the chemical effect of nicotine to some degree.

Hence, why a lot of people either start swilling coffee down when they quit smokes or having to cut down/off bc they can't stand the anxiety.

So just be aware of that and be gentle with yourself right now. Even if it feels like the worst is over with the withdrals of not smoking.

So if you are doing alright with the amount of coffee you are drinking now, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself at the moment. As long as you don't smoke!! You can get back to the coffee thing later.

On the other hand, I found it easier to cut both at the same time. Oh I still love my coffee, but not POTS of it anymore.

p.s. Such memeres who started us on coffee and wine early on are to be cherished and tolerated with love. hahaha.

Archived