Sugar Gliders?

MattW

I've recently taken an interest in potentially getting a sugar glider, in the future. I've done a little research on them in the last day or so, but I'm just curious, does anyone around here have any experience with them? Are they good pets? Is there anything in particular I really need to be aware of about them?

I probably won't be getting one any time soon; from what I've seen, they need a bit of space to run around and play, and whatnot, and I currently don't have a lot of space for that kind of thing, where I'm living now. Plus, I've heard that they can cost about $250-300 just for the animal alone, and while I do technically have at least that much money to my name, my bank account would be taking a pretty big hit.

I'm in Ohio, so I'm pretty sure it's not "illegal" to have them, here. In fact, from what I've heard, plenty of big name pet stores in Ohio sell them. Not that I plan to get one via a pet store, anyway (I know most people around here advise against getting animals from pet stores); I've had too many bad experiences, growing up, with little critters bought from pet stores. They always got tumors, or cancer, or other nasty diseases. I definitely intend to seek out a breeder, if/ when I decide to buy a sugar glider.

They pee a lot. A lady my girlfriend works with has two of them and my girlfriend has been to her house and held them before. They've never peed on her, but they always pee on their owner as soon as she picks them up. I don't know if it's a territorial thing or what.

We live in Ohio too, so yea, they probably aren't illegal here.

What's a Sugar Glider???

I didn't know what they were either. I looked them up on Google and came accross this pic of baby one:

image removed

That is so damn cute! (I want one!!!!)

To the OP, this site might help you: link removed

They always got tumors, or cancer, or other nasty diseases. I definitely intend to seek out a breeder, if/ when I decide to buy a sugar glider.

The ycan supposedly love up to 14 years. That's pretty good for a little creature.

Are they like birds and poop as they glide around your house???

lol Not necessarily, from what I've seen. I mean, I'm sure it happens on occasion, though, heh heh. They don't quite "fly" in the same way birds (or bats, or whatever) do. They seem to like climbing around and jumping from "climbing surface" to "climbing surface", and gliding fairly short distances.

I wish I never knew about this. I can't take the cuteness! They sell "bonding pouches" to wear them in. :shocked!:

link removed

To the OP, it does seem like you would have to spend a considerable amount of time with the animal in order for it to bond with you. Do you have that kid of time/dedication.

If you do get one please post pics of it!!!!!!

I didn't know what they were either. I looked them up on Google and came accross this pic of baby one:

image removed

That is so damn cute! (I want one!!!!)

To the OP, this site might help you: link removed

The ycan supposedly love up to 14 years. That's pretty good for a little creature.

Ahhh! Look at that face! So sweet!

To the OP, it does seem like you would have to sped a considerable amount of time with the animal in order for it to bond with you. Do you have that kid of time/dedication.

Heh, I think so, yeah. I'm kind of a "homebody" (I think that's the expression?), so I'm sure I wouldn't have too much trouble, that way. Only issue is, despite the fact that I'm a big animal lover (and I particularly enjoy the smaller critters like that, for whatever reason), animals always seem to hate me. All the little pets I always had growing up were always trying to get away from me, or they'd bite me and stuff... I dunno why, either; I was never "aggressive" or "intimidating", I always tried to be gentle and nice.

If you do get one please post pics of it!!!!!!

lol Well, it'll be a long time before I'll really look into getting one.

My friend had one and they are relatively easy to take care of. He had his in a cage with a old sock the sugar glider used to pee in all day and sleep in. The toughest part is getting them to glide. You have to every once in awhile take it out and let it glide around your room or any open space.

Besides dealing with their elimination concerns (I think they can be trained to pee in a specific area, but don't take my word for it) the one thing that has been made abundantly clear to me about Sugar Gliders is that they are high maintenance. They require a lot of attention and socialization, and must be kept active in order to be healthy. They are not good pets for people who travel a lot unless they make careful arrangements to have an experienced caregiver visit more than once a day or bring them with them. Their diet must also be watched carefully, as they are not as omnivorous as, say, our friend the rat. They are also a bit fragile; one must take care with their tiny, delicate bones, and you should definitely find out if you have a vet nearby that specifically knows how to deal with Sugar Gliders if you want to get one.

Now, if that does not daunt you, they are also very affectionate, soft and cuddly, love contact, and are cute as heck, so they do pay dividends on all the work you'll put into keeping them happy and healthy. If you get one, I wish you good luck and hope you find great rewards in their company.

Light and laughter,

SongCoyote

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! You are lucky to be able to own these beautiful animals as pets. I am an Australian & have been fortunate enough to see these gorgeous creatures in full flight in my backyard. Over here we have to have a wildlife carer's licence to own sugar gliders. In my opinion they should be left in the wild, though. It is heartbreaking to know that thousands of our native wildlife species are smuggled out of this country to end up in pet shops around the world to satisfy peoples' desire for strange & exotic pets. Please think before you purchase one. It might mean that you are encouraging illegal activity. Find out where the animal has actually come from & do your research. After all when it comes down to it these are actually wild animals that have very special needs.

Archived