Should I sell one of my eggs?

Rose21

I've you have to have a high iron count to give plasma. Could be wrong though.

I don't think you do... but I'm going on memory here. I tried to give plasma (blood pressure was too low... I'm still annoyed!). I was worried about iron too because I had recently been diagnosed as somewhat anemic. And I think they care more about protein level than iron content. But like I said, I could be wrong. In fact, maybe I'll go look it up now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't know, you would have to contact a plasma donation center and ask them.

what you could do is participate in research clinical trials. In my area, they pay between $1200-$7000 per study (they usually last anywhere from 4 days to 30 days). obviously, the higher paid ones have longer stays. They usually look for specific things, like non-smoking women between 18-44 or smoking men between 25-60 or whatever. they test experimental medication on healthy volunteers before testing it on people with the specific diseases. at this point, the drugs have already been tested on animals and have passed those tests, and healthy humans are the next step.

the downsides - you have to check in and stay there for the visit and you aren't allowed to leave or go home. i hear it's ok, they have TVs, books, games, etc. you can talk to the other people at the center. but still, if you have to go to work, to school, this isn't going to be easy. Your stomach problems might get in the way too, but of course you would have to tell that to the people conducting the study and they would decide if that excludes you.

Another risk - the medication could hurt you. I think that most of the time, there is not a huge problem, but when dealing with experimental drugs, you really don't know what would happen to you, if it would impact you severely. granted, the drugs will have been tested to be safe in animals by that point, but you are the human volunteer they are testing on.

just another way to make fast money.....

PS - my friend's husband participated in one of those studies. my friend (his wife) works at a drug research center. He participated in a week long study where he was required to eat a fatty foods for 1 week straight. for example, for breakfast everyday, he had to have 2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 pieces of toast and 2 pats of butter. one day he ate all his food, including the toast but forgot the butter. he then had to just eat the butter on its own, ew! lol.

Wait, in America do you guys get PAID for donating blood? That's weird =/ I thought it was to be a more charitable act than one of profit.

it depends on what state you live in. most of the time, blood is a charitable donation, but you can sell plasma, because it is in demand and harder and more tedious to harvest.

Rose, how about you forget selling eggs, forget modeling and concentrate on school! Stop wasting time thinking about such things and worry about your studies! At 20, I seriously doubt you are mature enough to make such a life altering decision! Not just you, but anyone. You also have to be in tip top health, which judging by your posts, you are not!

The government doesn't pay for it, the hospitals do.

Ah yeah I forgot the system's different over there and the gov and hospitals aren't that linked.

Back on topic, I do have to agree with Petite. Rose, do you realise the consequences of egg donation? Your technically biological child could be walking around the streets in a few years if you donated. Not to mention the time it would take, the drugs, which seeing as over the counter pain killers apparently have an effect on you, would seriously mess with you. Not to mention your numerous health complications.

No, I am NOT going to donate eggs. I'll save them for myself lol.

And I already agreed to forget modeling until the summer when I'm not in classes.

I will sell some plasma if I am able to though....

I agree blood is a charitable donation, but plasma should be compensated.

Really suprised Rose, you've always been extremely religious and I didn't think your personal beliefs would ever condone such things.

Also, donating plasma takes a couple hours and isn't pleasant and can make people faint. If you're anemic they probably won't let you do it either. Besides, in the UK you don't get paid for it, it's voluntary. Actually when I was in school in USA we did a plasma drive once and I volunteered to help out. Nobody was compensated for it. Actually time-wise we'd have enough time to sit the donors in front of a movie, and it got them out of 2 classes haha. No wonder we had so many people offer haha

Long and short of it - is money really that tight that you need to sell (parts of) your body? And would the 'Big Man Upstairs' approve of that, according to your beliefs?

I am Christian, but I wouldn't say I'm "extremly" religious, I don't remember the last time I went to church.

What would be wrong with selling my eggs? That doesn't go against my personal beliefts, nor does getting an abortion if I was raped etc.

But I'm not going to do it after hearing the downsides of it.

Just stick to Plasma.

I know someone that sold her eggs to an infertile couple. The money was good but it required many, many doctor's appointments. You'll also have to feel ok about it morally. Contact a donor agency and they can provide some information.

After having a child of my own, I would never be able to do it. It would be too weird to me to think that children that were biologically "mine" were running around the Earth somewhere. If I never had a child or planned on having one- I would consider being an egg donor.

I think it's also worth it to do a 'cost comparison.' how many doctors' appointments will it require, how much time/money will be spent driving all over town, and how much money you will get as a result. then break that up into a per hour rate. can you find a job that makes more per hour?

Do you have to pay for all the doctor visits yourself etc?

I do have very low iron, but I'm sure I could bring it up with iron pills and eating a good meal.

One time, I took iron pills for a week before I tried to give blood and had a VERY hardy breakfast and was just below the iron qualifications by ONE point!

I'm sure if I did it for 2 weeks, I'd make it.

i don't think you would have to pay for the doctors visits - but you have to go there, wait, have the appointment, etc.... if it takes a few hours each time, that's time gone.

Rose - did you take vitamin C pills along with iron? Vitamin C helps with the absorption of iron into your body.

No I didn't, maybe I should.

I also read that being an egg downer interfered with work, school, and family obligations etc.

I thinking given my circumstances in school, no matter what the cost, missing school would NOT be worth it.

Plus I don't really like the idea of it being SCRAPED out of me or having little "me's" Running around, espec since there may still be a 5% chance I want kids later on.

My boyfriend wouldn't like it either. He asked me if I'd be okay with him selling his sperm, and I said absolutly not.

I also HATE The fact that I would be super fertile.

That would just ruin everything if I got pregnant, and I want to be able to have sex with my boyfriend, and since I can't use condoms (due to medical reasons) and they don't let you use b-control, I'd be SCREWED.

Not a chance I want to risk.

I wouldn't get pregnant now., Not for a million dollars!

Archived