Following your dreams

Celadon

Help - I need some sort of push to pursue my dreams. It's been awhile since I tried to make any progress in following them.

About me: I already have a stable, fairly demanding job that I've been successful in for a number of years. But I've always been drawn to more creative pursuits. I want to do my own projects -- from blogging essays to creating audio stories. I have the basic technical skills for these things.

My main problem is that I can really get in a rut with my schedule. I work, work, work, then I don't have any energy leftover to do what *I* want to do. I've been trying to "back off" a little at work, and save some of my energy for after work, and that's been going OK. I was able to write two essays on my blog this past month.

Also, I have the equivalent of writer's block. I'm afraid, on some level. I mean, I could easily get out my audio recorder and capture some sound and start doing something, but ... I don't. I tried to record a family get-together once but it was too much -- I wasn't able to do what I'd hoped to do with it afterward.

As for time, I know that making time for my dreams won't happen overnight, but has anyone been able to carve out time on a consistent basis for their dreams? If so, how did you do it? I know it'll have to be step by step, but just taking those first few steps has been a big hurdle for me.

Thanks for listening.

I work, work, work, then I don't have any energy leftover to do what *I* want to do. .

Oh gosh, welcome to my life....and argh this kind of thing makes me mad. Just to make a living (pay bills etc) I have to work at a job that I so-so like but it sucks all my energy and creativity and leaves me "blah" at the end of the day.

They don't call it the grind for nothing.

I carve out feeble little chunks of "me time" at lunch break, sick days, weekends and holidays. It's not enough though, not nearly enough.

Oh the things I could do if I had the time....I bet 9/10 of full time employment people think this. Except for the poverty part, I really envy the unemployed

Hmmm, wasn't a lot of help there was I?

ps: Go thru the list of famous/successful artists, creators, inventors etc. Most of them didn't have some kind of back breaking, mind numbing 9-5 soul sucking job to deal with.

Did you Andy Warhol?

Yeah, the whole "needing a roof over my head" puts a real dampener on things. I envy the partially employed, myself. lol.

I don't even aspire to be a full-time artist. I'd be happy just to create a few things I'm proud of on a regular basis. I feel so hamstrung, but I know I am to blame...

You'll find that most people who chase their dreams with any level of success do it by sacrificing other things. They cut absolutely everything they can in their life so that they're at a minimal functional capacity while being able to give everything else to their goals. Some examples would be driving a crappy $1000 car instead of buying something on payments, living in a lower rent apartment, perhaps with several roommates, instead of leasing something posh, buying generic foods and second-hand clothes, getting rid of the TV, getting out of an expensive relationship, etc... all these things they'll do to cut corners so they don't have to have a career/job that sucks the life out of them. If they can find a way to get by on less, they'll do it. And then every extra hour/dime they have, the put toward what they love.

It really is a way of life. The people that make the big sacrifices are the people that make it big...and the ones that don't sacrifice, well they're the ones still talking about making it big ten years from now.

This post resonates with me. I was in a similar position, slaving away just to pay the bills and my dreams slowly started fading away. So I imposed a massive change to myself and went back to my home country and lived at my mum's house. I hated it. After 9 years away from home it was a shock to my nervous system. Since I didn't have to pay rent I worked part time. Didn't make any new friends for a while. Split up with my ex since I was now in another country (so I get some space to do my music). I hated that too. Had very little money. Guess what..that sucked too. Being creative often gives you no reward and that was the hardest thing to cope with, keeping the faith alive. But I went back home for that and I focused on it solely. It's the best thing I ever did for myself, I found my true nature again. I don't feel as a Customer Service Assistant any more, I feel like a songwriter But as OntheWire mentions, it takes huge sacrifices. Everything comes at a price. When you truly accept that it will be easier. Of course I rarely watch TV and of course I couldn't buy my fancy dresses. The most important things to work on is faith and time management. Set it as a priority, not an option. Read motivational quotes, put up "post it" notes, encourage your creative side on every chance you get. Very important: try and be with like minded people (even online), you need each other's support. And my personal favourite quotes

"If my mind can conceive it and my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it!"

"Each and every step you take must move you towards your goal!"

"Those who attempt the absurd achieve the impossible"

I'm going to start getting up an hour earlier each day, brew a killer coffee up and get creative.

My ex did that and he even tried paraphasing sleeping or something. It's sad really..but yeah, he got more done.

Have you heard of the book "writing down the bones" that might help

I actually have the book somewhere on my bookshelf. I think I bought it at a used book sale but never read it. Maybe it's time now!

But as OntheWire mentions, it takes huge sacrifices. Everything comes at a price. When you truly accept that it will be easier. Of course I rarely watch TV and of course I couldn't buy my fancy dresses. The most important things to work on is faith and time management. Set it as a priority, not an option. Read motivational quotes, put up "post it" notes, encourage your creative side on every chance you get. Very important: try and be with like minded people (even online), you need each other's support. And my personal favourite quotes

"If my mind can conceive it and my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it!"

"Each and every step you take must move you towards your goal!"

"Those who attempt the absurd achieve the impossible"

OntheWire, quirky, thanks for the "true artists'" perspective. I'm glad it's working out for you. I honestly don't think I could sacrifice as you do, but your posts have opened my eyes and made me consider what I am willing to do. If I am unable to commit to some sacrifice, then I must accept that I will never have even a thriving creative hobby.

BTW, it's funny that the theme of giving up TV has come up. I don't watch a lot by average standards, but yeah, every time spent doing something like that is not time spent on creative pursuits. Lots to think about ... thanks!

Archived