How to build thicker skin

Bella20

You'll go in waves. Think about all the most successful, ambitious, dyanmic people in the world. They all have droves and droves of people talking smack about them. The president comes to mind. When you are outspoken and present, half the people will love you, and half will hate. You can't ever do anything about haters, but you can understand that it's not you they hate. They don't really know who you are inside. They simply hate the metaphor that you represent, and their projection of you. Once you see it that way, it's very hard for someone to injure you.

Believe in yourself and what you are worth. If someone wants to take time and trash you, let them, it only shows what kind of people they are.

There comes a point in our lives and this comes with life experience when we simply stop caring about pointless crap. Life is too precious to worry about whether someone likes or dislikes you.

I never cared much about what people in general thought about me, but I do care about what people that matter to me think about me.

I just ughhhh, this guy keeps trashing me and I'm going nuts over it

Once you collect a certain amount of wisdom and years, you'll be categorically embarrassed to trash another person. Why? Because it's only something that someone does out of fear or jealousy. Otherwise, who would bother? If some guy is constantly trashing you then that means that on some level he is threatened by you. Maybe a woman who once rejected his advances looked or sounded like you. Sometimes, that's all it takes.

No matter who you are, people will trash you. So now, it's time to decide who you allow to get to you. Some questions to ask yourself are:

1. Do I like this person?
  2. Does this person have my best interests in mind?
  3. Do I respect this person and their opinions?

If the answer is "no" to all thread questions, the question to ask yourself is:

Why the hell do I care what he says, since he's less than nothing to me?

I wouldn't say that you need thicker skin, but rather a stronger stance. Don't let people that are not important or special in your life make you think differently of yourself. Yes, it can be painful what others may say to hurt you, but realize that what they're doing shows much more about their character than it does yours. Smile and move on, these people don't deserve your time. However, don't automatically discredit people's arguments. I've found that it's always better to listen first and make judgments later. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

image removed

I'm used to people talking about me. I used to be okay with it.

But now I'm totally sensitive about it. Why?

Since generally you're not so sensitive to gossip maybe you should figure out why this particular guy is getting to you.

think about what he's saying about you, and what really happened between you two. from the disparity between the truth and what he's saying you might see his intentions, and/or recognize why you are particularly sensitive to this douche

I used to put stock in other people's opinions until I realized just how little most people know about themselves.

How can you form a concrete opinion of me when you don't even know who you are?

I know who I am, what I'm capable of, and where I'm going. Your hateful blathering is like a mosquito in my ear: Annoying for a moment, but squashed by insignificance.

Archived