Do I attach my Salary History with my Resume or in the body of the email?

When jobs request a salary history do I include it in the body of the email or attach it with my resume. The reason I am asking is because I was told to put the cover letter in the email body and I don't think it would look good at all to put both in the body of the actual email. Thanks for your advice! I think I am ready to start looking for new jobs in my area.

The salary history (should you use to include one) should be a separate sheet from the resumé itself.

If you don't think a salary history would look favorable, it might be acceptable to include your salary requirement as part of the cover letter in the body of the e-mail itself, with a brief explanation of why you deserve such a salary.

No I mean some job posting request you to sent your Salary History along with your resume' date=' thats what I mean. Otherwise I don't include a salary history...is that okay?[/quote']

If they specifically request one, then it's probably a good idea to include one unless it wouldn't work in your favor. That's why I suggested a salary requirement alternative.

Reason being, if you're applying for a job that pays significantly more than what you've made in the past, they will try to lowball you, especially with the way the economy is now and the shortage of jobs.

WHat's a salary history? Isn't that out of line for employers to ask for?!

In my opinion, it is . . . however it's not against the law for them to ask, and if you don't "follow directions" and provide one, it's their right to refuse to interview you. It's a fine line to walk if you don't really want to provide that specific information, but it can be done.

Archived