Birth control options..

dangletsbang

I'm currently looking at birth control options to use after having Hayden..I would really prefer a non hormonal form of birth control..but don't want to use condoms..or something very low in hormones..and I want something I don't have to worry about every day.

I'm really interested in the 'implantable' devices..such as the IUD, Mirena..even the Implanon[?] possibly. I do eventually want to have another child but not until i'm at least around 25/26ish..so the risks of possibly not being able to concieve after the IUD kind of scare me.

I'm just looking for some opinions or suggestions in regards to what options I have..personal experiences would be great too!

I got Mirena a year after having my son and I am happy with it so far. It took some adjusting to (lots of cramping and irregular bleeding for about 6 months) but once I got past that it was fine and it is good for 5 years.

I thought it was going ot be HELL having it put in- I made a thread about it in Health, Body, Mond & Spirit. Luckily it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I've only done the pill, condoms, and for a brief time, the diaphragm. I really didn't mind the pill too much, but was on progesterone only pills and had to take it at the EXACT same time every day, which was a bit of a pain, but I just set my cell phone alarm to go off, and that reminded me to take it. We're using condoms right now, and as much as I thought I was going to hate it and hubby would complain, it's really not that bad. The diaphragm... ugh! About the 60th time I had to get up from hot and heavy foreplay, run to the bathroom, smear up all the spermicide jelly, drop the damn thing like 5 times, pry the little suction cup off the ceiling because it pinged out of my hands at just the wrong time... never again, what a pain in the hiney!

I am in the same quandry, I have been debating about the IUD, Mirena, etc. I have heard about a 50/50 split on good experiences and bad. My mother had an IUD for years and loved it, but she was also not planning to get preggo again. I just worry about all the hormones in some of them (thus me not going back on the pill after I had our daughter), and the ones that you don't have a period at all with? They scare me. Our bodies are SUPPOSED to do this monthly... taking somethign that stops it just doesn't seem right to me. I'm going to lurk on your thread and see the feedback, hope you don't mind!

short, I don't mind at all.

I'm the same way as you when it comes to having a period..it's something I honestly don't mind at all, it's natural and I want my body to do it..although the 9 month break i'm on right now is nice, lol.

I was on the birth control pill for nearly a year and I swear I don't know how it didn't make my boyfriend run away from me screaming. I was depressed, extremely moody, bipolar tendencies..straight up crazy. Me + Hormonal methods = fail.

I'm really interested in the Mirena..and i'm definitely going to discuss things with my doctor before making a definite decision..I don't mind condoms..sure, I prefer skin on skin..but I just hate how much of a hassle they are. When i'm in the moment and wanna do the deed..I don't want to stop the foreplay, find the condom, open the wrapper, etc..and while I can remember to take a pill every day, it just seems like a hassle when there's options that protect you for up to 5 years..

I have never had a child, but I have a Mirena IUD (since 2007) and I have had no issue with it. Like Belladonna mentioned in the beginning there was a lot of cramping and random spotting, but once I got used to it I have really not minded it at all. I love the ease of it - no worry. It was a good choice for me.

can i ask why you don't want to be on hormonal bc?

I'm psycho on it..it makes me depressed/angry/extremely moody/etc..

i'm also going to be breast feeding Hayden and I don't really want the artificial hormones affecting him or my milk production..and since i'll be a new mom, i'll be super hormonal as it is..I don't want extra things pumping through my body making me crazy or more prone to being depressed.

Mirena does contain low doses of the progesterone hormone, but it is contained locally in the uterus, going directly to the lining and not your bloodstream. Only a tiny amount ever enters your bloodstream in comparison to the pill.

A copper IUD has no hormones, but I did not choose that because I did a lot of research and the copper onese seem to be associated with more heavy and irruegular bleeding. The small amount of synthetic progesterone that Mirena releases is there to help prevent/decrease bleeding.

Mirena does contain low doses of the progesterone hormone, but it is contained locally in the uterus, going directly to the lining and not your bloodstream. Only a tiny amount ever enters your bloodstream in comparison to the pill.

A copper IUD has no hormones, but I did not choose that because I did a lot of research and the copper onese seem to be associated with more heavy and irruegular bleeding. The small amount of synthetic progesterone that Mirena releases is there to help prevent/decrease bleeding.

Thanks, bella..that's why the mirena is really appealing to me..I probably won't get it placed right after the birth anyway..i'm sure i'll wait at least 4 or 5 months [and be super careful during that time] before getting it placed.

The earliest you could have it placed after having a baby would probably be sometime after your 6 week postpartum checkup. I would imagine that all birth related bleeding "lochia")would have to stop before they would consider placing it.

For some women that bleeding can last more than 6 weeks.

I think your plan is good. 4-5 months after having the baby should be just fine.

And my experience was the opposite. I had my appointment in November and in December they tried the first insertion (it didn't work so we tried again in January which went fine). Even better, my provincial health plan covered 75% of the cost which helped so much.

Archived