I have a disorder called dermatographia. Basically, what happens is my skin welts up and forms hives when it gets "scratched." To explain further, if someone who doesn't have this takes something like a pen cap and uses it to "write" their name on their arm, it might turn a little red or white and go away within a few minutes. Not me, mine will turn into a welt, which then becomes itchy and stays there for hours. If I itch it, it becomes worse....pretty much any time I scratch my skin, it welts up like this. I also get what they call "pressure hives" from clothes that are too tight (and I'm not even talking skin tight, even if they're slightly tight) or if my belt is too tight or if there's a wrinkle like you get near your hip when you sit down or in your socks....basically anything that "irritates" my skin will cause these.

Needless to say, I have discovered that I can't shave my legs or I will end up with itchy "stripes" all over. My doctor has suggested I try something like Nair. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? Is there one kind that works better than another? Any tips I should be aware of? I saw that there was also something called Neet, but it came with a razor-type thing that I'm afraid will cause the same irritation??? He suggested I not try waxing because he thinks the heat and "pulling" might also cause the wheals

i dont use nair regularly, but do every so often. it works, its doesnt burn at all. the only thing is the hair has to grow in a bit before you can use the cream. i am a lil ocd about hair removal and cant wait a week for hair to grow in, it would drive me nuts. but im assuming you dont shave often bc of your skin condition, so i think nair would be a good choice. give it a try.

they also have a new kind of foam you put on before you shower and it comes off in the shower, or something like that...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll see if they have a sensitive skin formula and start there.

Lana, no, the washcloth doesn't irritate it as long as I don't scrub with it.

Oddly enough, my armpits don't do the same thing, but my arms would if I shaved them

I use hair removal products on my bikini line and have never had a problem with it. I do have quite sensitive skin (although nothing like yours) and I find it quite gentle. You could use a washcloth like Lana said OR some products come with a little sponge to wipe it off with- so those might work for you?

Archived