Parents meeting parents

catalina

My boyfriend and I have been together just shy of a year. We have both met each other's parents several times and seem to all get along very well. We have discussed possibly getting engaged within the next 6 months or so, but no rings yet.

I was with his family last weekend and his mother told me she would like to meet my parents.

I am wondering why, when, how, where, who? etc

Any tips/advice on this process would be great. I brought it up to my mom and she and my dad are willing to meet them, but aren't too enthuised about it.

Assuming you & BF have your own place, how about a casual BBQ with both sets of parents and a few friend/family members? Maybe for Memorial Day or something.

Of course, this could be complicated by your parents not really wanting to meet the potential in-laws... What is their reasoning? Are they not fond of your boyfriend or just shy about meeting new people?

Thanks for your reply! My boyfriend and I do not live together... we actually both live in studio apartments in the same building, but on different floors. They are both too tiny to host too many people..

My parents are kind of homebodies and don't like to expand their social circle too much. They LOVE my boyfriend, though.

Thanks for your reply! My boyfriend and I do not live together... we actually both live in studio apartments in the same building, but on different floors. They are both too tiny to host too many people..

My parents are kind of homebodies and don't like to expand their social circle too much. They LOVE my boyfriend, though.

Oh, well that's good then! Do you have some kind of park or pic-nic area around you where everyone could gather?

I think it would be less overwhelming to meet at a restaurant. That way, there is a set time limit on the first interaction. If the meal is going well, you can keep ordering drinks and dessert, but if it's lagging, you all can politely leave after the entrees. Structured time gives people a way out and is more inviting than a day at the park or over someone's house, where you don't leave at a set time.

Archived