To be young again

azngi16

So many regrets. For one, I would have gone to college for a different career. I regret getting my degree in communications and instead would have gone into medical like my parents preferred. Then there are my various dating issues. I wish I hadn't lost my virginity to the guy I did because I realized he wanted nothing more than sex, a big issue later in life for me. Finally, I wish many years ago I had become serious with this one guy when he wanted to. At the time I was dealing with serious relationship problems. Years later we reconnected and only now I realize I love him and always have. The problem is a few years ago he got scammed by a relationship and now he tells me he never wants a relationship again (previously he wanted marriage and kids). If I had gotten serious when he wanted he never would have dated her. Maybe now we'd be together. Of course there is always the possibility we'd be divorced but I don't think so.

It's funny newwave...because I would have not chosen medicine if I had to start over. They work too many hours and have no lives, even after school. And school itself is stressful. I realized, you don't need much to be happy. But you always need good health and good friends. At this point in my life, I realize, I can do anything Which is good to know because well, I'm still young and not in debt : )

Nope. You couldn't PAY me enough to go back to any point in my life, including the ones where I was carefree and just having a good time...b/c back then I didn't know my head from my you-know-what. I have learned SO much in the past few years, including how to love myself and truly love someone else, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I am content.

Sure, there are times when I wish I could have a peek at what my life might have been like if I had made a different choice at a major fork in the road, like where I went to college, but it's more idle curiosity at this point.

Only way I'd go back is if I could go back knowing what I know now...which is generally not an option included in these types of scenarios. If I had to go back and be as clueless as I was.....uh...no thanks.

As for regrets...nothing huge. "Things I would've done differently if I had it to do over again"...yeah. But there's no feeling of regret for what I did choose at the time. There were valuable lessons to be learned.

A guy I once worked for used to have a small plaque in his office that said:

Good judgment comes from experience.

Experience comes from bad judgment.

I wish I'd lived more and developed independence as a teenager. I was a very closeted teen and didn't discover the joy of doing the things I wanted in life till I was well into my twenties.

I'm happy with where I am in life now, and wouldn't want to change that, but being a late developer has made me a naïve adult with lots of insecurities and very few life defining experiences. It means I sometimes feel like I'm just getting started with life at a time that many of my peers are settling down and having a concrete idea of what they want in life.

Like Shes2smart said, I'd go back if I could bring my current wisdom with me. Otherwise, I'm not sure of the point of going back.

The teen years were rough on me -- way too many hormones. I couldn't control my emotions. I'm glad those are way behind me.

Everything after that ... well, I will just say that I wish I dated more when I was younger. A LOT More. When you're in your 20s, everyone else is single and you can find someone really compatible. When you're older, not so much.

But I was something of a mess in my 20s, so I don't necessarily know if a relationship I started then would have lasted.

I was very inhibited as a young adult. I wish I could go back and be my own mentor! I would have encouraged myself to explore careers and to dare to be free and independent of others' expectations.

I agree with S2S and K8tie, if I could go back with my current knowledge and wisdom, sure, I'd give it another run... why not?

Honestly, the life experiences I have had to this point have made me the person I am today, and I'm happy with who I am. Looking back, would I make different decisions with what I know now... maybe... but those same decisions made me learn life lessons that I wouldn't have learned from if I hadn't made that decision at the time. Does that make sense? hehe

A wise person told me once, "We do the best we can with the (emotional) tools we have available to us at that point in time. As we learn and grow we gain new tools. You make the choices you make using the tools you have at that time. If we had all the tools at the beginning, life would be boring and we wouldn't have the learning journey we call life."

No real regrets, I look at all experience in my life, good or bad, as learning and expanding as a human being.

Yes to all. I did date quite a bit in my 20's but wished back then I would have seen I'd get to my age now and many of the eligible guys from then are now husbands and fathers. I was too picky then and rejected based on looks or shallow things. I too was somewhat messed up in my 20's and made bad choices that I am still paying for.

Yes to all. I did date quite a bit in my 20's but wished back then I would have seen I'd get to my age now and many of the eligible guys from then are now husbands and fathers. I was too picky then and rejected based on looks or shallow things. I too was somewhat messed up in my 20's and made bad choices that I am still paying for.

Thanks for posting, newwave. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wish you the best in life!

Archived