Is Sorry good enough?

Seraphim

No, saying sorry is not enough to forgive. You actually have to have regrets.

"Sorry" is just a word. Without actually feeling behind it, it means nothing.

I agree 100%. It sounds like you are not satisfied that it is genuine. How would it go over if you pointed that out. It also seems to me, by not acknowledging your right to feel upset about it, it somehow projects that they didn't feel they did anything wrong and "sorry" was thrown out there as a lazy appeasement.

To me sorry means you are heartfelt in that and you do not do it again. Sorry to the other person means "phew I got out of that scrape".

Assuming that's true then "sorry" is almost meaningless...but that's assuming it's true. That's hard to tell...I mean my 5 year old throws out "I'm sorry" in a "Phew, I got out of that..." kind of way, and yet other times, he is genuinely sincere...

It think you really have to examine it on a case-by-case basis.. It also depends how close you are to that person, if you can even address it with them, or if you just choose to distance yourself from someone who is insincere and indifferent to how their actions affect others...

Again, I really can't say, because actual sincerity is not always percieved. You could be thinking they don't mean it, when they were genuinely sorry, but since they can't do anything about it, they move on. Or they could be throwing out a token "i'm sorry" when they don't mean it...But either way, your perception of their apology does not make it fact. So you either have to address it with them that you felt the apology was insincere and dismissive and be prepared for their response, or you can try to accept it at face value.

Really hard to call online without knowing both parties involved.

Do what you need to do to have peace with the situation.

I agree 100%. It sounds like you are not satisfied that it is genuine. How would it go over if you pointed that out. It also seems to me, by not acknowledging your right to feel upset about it, it somehow projects that they didn't feel they did anything wrong and "sorry" was thrown out there as a lazy appeasement.

I tried to address that and they blew me off.

Archived