Getting Over Being a (VERY) Picky Eater

Hello everyone, I have a quick question about a problem I've had all my life. When I was very young I became extremely sick, and every since then I have been a very picky eater. I don't like most foods, and I have a really hard time trying new things. I think alot of it is psychological, cause it feels like my body will immediately reject new things I try sometimes. Anyways, lately I've decided I'd like to change and overcome this, because its not healthy to be so selective, and I'm tired of being asked "why are you so picky?" So, if anyone has any ideas as to what they think the best way to get over this problem would be, please feel free to leave your suggestions. Thanks for your time, and Happy Easter!

Hello everyone, I have a quick question about a problem I've had all my life. When I was very young I became extremely sick, and every since then I have been a very picky eater. I don't like most foods, and I have a really hard time trying new things. I think alot of it is psychological, cause it feels like my body will immediately reject new things I try sometimes. Anyways, lately I've decided I'd like to change and overcome this, because its not healthy to be so selective, and I'm tired of being asked "why are you so picky?" So, if anyone has any ideas as to what they think the best way to get over this problem would be, please feel free to leave your suggestions. Thanks for your time, and Happy Easter!

Ah I think I know what you mean. Because you got sick after eating different things when you were younger, you asssociate the food with the sickness, even if they were totally unrelated. I remember when I was in high school & got my wisdom teeth removed, I went to school the next day because I convinced myself I felt great. I felt progressively worse until lunchtime. I still remember what I bought for lunch that day. And my friends sitting at the lunchtable with me started talking about something disgusting, but I don't remember what it was. Any other day it wouldn't have bothered me, but that day the food & their conversation made me sick!! I still don't think I could eat that same meal again to this day, even though it wasn't the food itself that made me sick.

Maybe start by looking up pictures of different foods & trying whatever you think sounds interesting in small amounts. Or look online for restaurants in your area that list their menus online so you can research them ahead of time. Definitely wouldn't start off with caviar or anything like that! But when you go to a restaurant, maybe get your main meal one of the foods you normally eat, but get an appetizer you normally wouldn't?

I used to be a really picky eater too, and I still kind of am but I'm a lot more adventurous. I guess things changed for me when I started cooking for myself all the time. Cooking the same things on a regular basis got kind of boring after a while and I started looking for new things or new ways to cook the things I already liked. Slowly, one thing at a time, I expanded my reportoire. I think that when you cook something yourself its easier to try it. You know what it is, how it was cooked, and theres no pressure or expectation on you.

Thats a good idea. I figured most of it was psychological, it'll porbably just take time. Thanks for the help!

Thats also something I don't like, is feeling pressure to eat something someone has made that doesn't interest me. Like you said if I cook it, then there no pressure. Thanks for the suggestion.

What? I'm not the only one?? lol Thanks for the link, that site will be very helpful.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!

I used to also be very picky when it came to certain things and I got to the same point as you. What I did was slowly try little bits of what other people were eating (really close friends who knew what I was doing and wouldn't pressure me to try something), or if I was at a party where there was a bunch of different things, I would take a very small amount of everything. That way, I didn't have a huge helping of something that I felt bad about throwing out if I didn't like it. More often than not, I DID like it and went back for more.

Archived