anyone feel sleepy while they try it?

volvic

Hi, i don't cut anymore but there was a time when things were really bad and I was still figuring out how to cope with stuff. I really wanted to escape and I kept trying to cut my wrists. I got better at doing it over time, I am very fearful of needles and cutting and it was hard to do that do myself (i think its probably the same with most people) but I was very upset and feeling alone. I used ice to numb my skin so the pain was easier to deal with and then I encountered a weird reaction. I got incredibly sleepy. If I wasnt doing anything to myself i was fine but as soon as I started cutting I suddenly got really really sleepy. It was to the point where I was lying on the floor almost past out. (no bleeding really or just a little at this point, I had barely grazed myself.). I'm feeling that it was a defensive reaction by my body for me not to kill myself. Anyone else have this reaction? I have dealt with my problem and no longer feel suicidal nor have the urge to hurt myself. But it was interesting how that happened and am wondering if it is a common reaction.

It sounds like you became very numb.

I used to self-injure after becoming very emotional. Physically hurting myself would instantly calm me down. The rush of adrenaline just stops in its tracks. All that build up of stress stopping at a brick wall after you cut - it's like becoming burnt out which may make you feel sleepy.

I got incredibly sleepy. If I wasnt doing anything to myself i was fine but as soon as I started cutting I suddenly got really really sleepy.

It could be your body going into shock or your body's response after the endorphin high it was going through or coming off!

Archived