cot death ends at?

SamiJayne

What age does the risk of cot death end?

My son is 5 months old now. In his own room, but I still get up in the night to check hes breathing.

I had heard the risk ended at 6 months, but my partner said he heard its longer than that.

I'd ask my health visitor, but they always look at me with the " paranoid parent" look. As I have lost a baby before. So yes I am paranoid, but I have every right to be!

When they can roll over and sit up. When they are strong enough to push a blanket off of their face, or lift themselves out of a situation that hinders their breathing.

I would say the same. When they are strong enough to move around on their own and sit up.

Apparently it's a year but after 6 months in a non-preemie baby, the risk goes down tremendously (check out the SIDS website). My son is over a year now but I check on him periodically, we have a monitor (although I don't check after I go to sleep at night unless I hear something). We never used crib bumpers (which has its disadvantages - legs getting caught when he was younger, bumping his head a little, etc), blankets or any toys in the crib. He wears a sleepsack over his pajamas and we made sure and still make sure the temp in his room is at most 70 degrees Fahrenheit and usually cooler.

He slept in our room in his own crib until he was almost 6 months old.

SIDS (or cot death) is the leading cause of death of babies from birth to one year. Most SIDS deaths occur in babies 2 to 4 months of age. But my research showed that only 1 in 1000 babies born were lost to SIDS (in the US). With that said, I still wake up at night and put my hand on my 18 month to make sure she is still breathing. It's such a scary thing!

If I remember right, 90% of SIDS deaths are in babies under 6 months of age. The risk reduces considerably after 6 mos, then reduces again by age 1. Biggest thing is the ability to move on their own and move their heads. Basically the ability to wake up if something is obstructing their breathing and the ability to move from it. Putting them to sleep on their backs, no crib bumpers, no stuffed animals or excessive bedding (ie: blankets or comforters), and temperate sleeping conditions / no overheating seem to be the biggest factors. But with all this, they still don't know exactly causes SIDS. I did hear from lots of Moms that the Angel Care monitor gave them peace of mind as the alarm goes off if it doesn't feel movement or breathing in a certain amount of time.

Although I will say a close family friend admitted to me that she still wakes up at night and goes to check on her daughter while she is sleeping.... and her daughter is turning 10 next month! hehe The fear NEVER goes away for mommies!

everything shortpants posted is spot on! i wanted to mention though that it doesnt not completely disappear after one but again, the risk drops significantly. i know a mommy who lost her perfectly healthy little boy at 13 months from SIDS though, which just shows you that its still a mystery for the most part and not something you can always help.

Archived