Okay So I'm Getting Fired..

Big company with a reputation to not "lay off employees". Instead they try to force people out with unreasonable sales performances. I've seen and heard it all before but now reality is hitting me in the face. I'm on my 2nd written and my sales for the month are average at best, not the "turn it around numbers" I'm sure they are looking for. When they let me go the first hour I plan to be in the "unemployment" line with sue and joe. Finally my taxes will work in my favor, for once, sarcasm*

Well I have a college degree in exercise science with a biology background. I have done sales in the mortgage industry for 2 years. I'm still young, mid 20's, but now I have no freakin clue what to do and where to even start. I never really had an idea of what I wanted to do, no REAL passion for any particular career path. I have anxiety knowing that if I go back to school for a graduate program, I could be wasting valuable time and money** Something about having student loan payment that are more than your mortgage makes it uneasy to just go back to school hoping for a scholarship or assistance pay.

I do know that I am tired of the "sales" rollercoaster ride. The unstable pay, the high stress, the lack of control of basically anything. I'm tired of being a metric with a lousy boss who only got there because they worked there 5 years before you did. Sorry for the rant, point taken.

So my questions to all of you, if this sounds familiar please share your experiences and some advice on the subject. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

since you have a degree in excercise science, why don't you go and try to do something with that? (i don't see how mortgage is involved!) i would try to pursue a career with your passions in mind. would getting a graduate degree help? what sort of job would make your really happy?

In college I wanted to do something in the medical field. I'm not a real strong student, about average, 3.0 gpa. I looked into physical therapy because of life experiences of my family, but my grades were not high enough for the competitive graduate program. I did mortgages because the money was to be made in the "boom". Now everyone has refinanced or foreclosed. I've always had a problem with focus, was prescribed add drugs but decided against it. Perhaps the medical field would be enticing...

If you work part time at a gym while collecting, it could benefit you two ways. First, most people think that working while on UI reduces the money they're paid, but they don't realize it gets tacked onto the end of your claim and extends the length of time you can collect. That's really-really good during a recession that shows nothing more than piddly signs of lifting any time soon. It also allows you to live on a slightly higher income for the duration.

Meanwhile, you get exposure to all kinds of health-conscious people who could inspire you with ideas. Use the time to float while you figure out what you'd like to tackle.

BTW--I rode out the recession after 9/11 laid off from a major finance firm and returned to school. It was the best possible way for me to spend my time--kept me structured and achieving. The difference is, my heart was in it for the first time in my life.

I finished my Master's and STILL didn't know what the hell to do. My best job found me somehow, and it had nothing to do with school--but in my case, I would have gone bonkers without it. In your case, the opposite could be true. Viewing studies as necessarily leading to a career path is the perfect way to derail yourself with stress and pressure. If you want to go to school for something, consider a certificate program. Those are career-driven, while grad school might be better later to advance once you've already plotted a course.

Archived