A choice between my family and girlfriend?

james333

My girlfriend and I are 18 years old and have been together for a little over 3 years now. We love eachother very much.

I am a 6thform student, about to get into full-time work. I also work part time three evenings per week and I commonly get overtime hours. I go to my girlfriend's house pretty much every time i possibly can. The problem is, I feel that I have been neglecting my family as i only come home when I am either getting ready for college, work or to see my girlfriend.

I have spoken to my girlfriend about this, and she says that I am over attatched to my family, I should grow up, and says: "how are you going to be able to move out in the future when you can't stay away from your family?". While I do love to be with my family, I do not feel that I am over attatched to them, but I just do not want to be the son that forgot his family to be with his girlfriend, as I feel that I am neglecting them.

My parents also comment on how I use the house to as a base to sleep and am always seeing my girlfriend. But when I explain to my girlfriend that some days I would like to stay home to be with my family, she says I am being silly and need to grow up! I am lost!

Is my girlfriend right? Do I need to grow up? Is there any advice? Thanks

The way that I see it, I believe that you are already growing up. You're 18, going to college and have a part time job as well. You might need to find a better balance between your gf and your family. There shouldn't need to be an choice between your gf and your family. Just focus on trying to find a better balance and you'll turn out fine.

She very rarely goes to my house because she doesn't like going there. Because I have three brothers she says that we have a lot less privacy and she is used to living with her just dad and brother. She also said that she feels uncomfortable with my family.

She very rarely goes to my house because she doesn't like going there. Because I have three brothers she says that we have a lot less privacy and she is used to living with her just dad and brother. She also said that she feels uncomfortable with my family.[/QUOTE]

This doesnt bother you? Dont you think if your thinking long term on this one you should try and get her more used to your familiy, obviously its optional, but i would see it as a plus, no?

It seems to me that because she doesn't feel comfortable with your family she is trying to separate you from them. Don't allow her to do that. Decide what is a reasonable balance and do that.

I agree. There needs to be a give and take from both of you in the relationship. There shouldn't be a one way street.

Archived