iSecretShopper

Has anyone ever heard of Secret/Mystery shoppers? I found this website and I am pretty cautious right now, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about "iSecretShopper"?

link removed

I'm interested in hopefully getting a summer job or something like that. Thanks!

It's a surprisingly professional looking website. Still, I'm very very very skeptical of any job that claims that anyone with human chromosomes can do it with no prior experience and no knowledge of anything, and that claims to pay a generous amount of money. You will probably end up on a zillion junk mail mailing lists if you sign up for this.

It's a surprisingly professional looking website. Still, I'm very very very skeptical of any job that claims that anyone with human chromosomes can do it with no prior experience and no knowledge of anything, and that claims to pay a generous amount of money. You will probably end up on a zillion junk mail mailing lists if you sign up for this.

That's what caught my eye; That they say you don't need prior experiences to do it.

I didn't go to the website. However, when I worked retail they did say that beware of shoppers that aren't really "shoppers" and are there to assess your performance. However, they are usually from within the company itself - and not something that is necessarily outsourced - at least thats how I interpreted it at the time.

One restaurant I worked at had secret shoppers regularly, about once a month or so. They were hired from a secret shopper staffing agency. My mom worked at a bank and said the same thing. There are agencies out there, it's just a matter of finding a legit one. I have no idea about iSecret.. though, sorry.

I signed up to work as a mystery shopper a month or so ago. I'll maybe pick it up next time I'm in the UK, it's not much money but it's not much work. I wasn't able to fit it in before flying out because it requires me to do a sample assignment in a certain shop and we don't have that chain in my town.

Basically, the head office hires a mystery shopping company to send a shopper to the store. The shopper will ask a load of questions, and basically pretend to be about to buy something, and then will leave saying they want to shop around but might return. The staff are completely unaware they were being evaluated.

Basically, what they're looking for is:

1) That the staff are courteous, helpful, knowledgeable and friendly

2) That the staff are trying to make a sale

It's nothing to worry too much about. The shopper doesn't spend long in there and it's only a short report. Also, individual members of staff are never named. The head office want some idea of the competency of each branch, but they aren't looking to discipline or fire staff on the back of the reports.

Yes, I did this once years ago back in Seattle.

It's not as easy as they make it out to be. And not only that you still have to shop for food while taking down detailed information about the store, the staff and what the store is looking from the secret shopper. The pay at the end was okay but it's actually a very time consuming work. I'm sure there are many that are out there that are more proficient and can make good money but really depends on the demand and how often the job is available. I think it was at least 10 years ago I did this so it's been awhile!

I can't say if the site is legitimate but if you find out their business on BBB or other review sites I'm assuming they are safe to work for.

I signed up to a couple of sites but I did some research first - ones that charge you to sign up and claim you could earn big bucks - apparently not such a great idea. Instead, I went with Retail Eyes, Grass Roots, and GAPbuster. None of them charge, all you have to do is sign up and complete some surveys about yourself.

Also, their approach seems more honest - they make it clear you can't expect to live off what they do, it's just extra cash more than anything. That compared to sites trying to tell you that you could earn thousands per month seems a lot more believable. If you think about it, if that were possible then surely a lot more people would be queuing up to do secret shopping. In reality, it's not a reliable earner because you have to be hired by a company, and that's not going to be day-to-day working - I think you'd have to sign up to several companies and be constantly researching more to make any kind of living off of it.

Yeah, that's not true. I got written up twice and nearly fired because I didn't "upsell". They definitely use names.

Oh maybe it's different for different companies though, the one I was signed up for specifically didn't record names.

I worked for a few months as a "secret shopper" for two different companies I found online & it was not good! I signed up because the web-site advertised that we'd be sent out to great restaurants & shops & then get re-imbursed for things I would have bought anyway.....

In reality the assignments I recieved were more like this: Go to the Staples between 4 & 6:00 pm, talk to a minimum of three store employees & then make a purchase of up to $3!! Then they actually had me take it back to test the returns department!!

Once done I'd have to go home and spend 30 mins. filling out the form regarding my experience. Then I had to print it out, photo copy my reciept, get extra postage for the book they had me fill out & mail it.

Finally, I'd receive $10-15 for a shop like that. So yeah, it was legit & I got paid but it was soooooooo not worth it!

If you do decide to try ishop... i hope it works out better for ya

Archived