Going on 3rd year of college, too late to become a M.D.?

I am going into my third year of college and so far I have struggled and lacked in motivation but I am building it up. It is hard for me to focus on school and spend the proper amount of time studying for my courses in order to get good grades in general, while still having fun in my life.

I originally planned on going for a two year associate degree in Liberal arts until I could decide what I wanted to do. I have been planning to go as a Nurse Anesthetist which requires an RN degree and additional 2-4 years of schooling to focus on anesthesiology. Although, I've always wanted to become a M.D. Is it too late? Isn't it possible to retake my ACT (never had to take SAT) and retake certain classes to bring up my GPA from when I was lazy and unmotivated? Should I just make an appointment with a career councilor and find out?

I feel like this year specifically, I haven't done very well. I realize that when you withdraw from a class (depending on the school) it leaves a W on your transcript and if you retake a class you failed it states that you retook it. This is for my school at least. I am attending a community college until I figure out what I want to go into so I can transfer to a university with the proper schooling for the degree.

Is it still possible? I was thinking of Anesthesiologist specifically. I did some research and discovered it is four years of med school, 3-4 years of internship, and a year of residency. You can then become an O.C. or M.D. I am for sure going into health care, and I know if I put my mind to it I can achieve a degree which would help people much more than an RN degree. But from people's experience in medicine, how hard is it actually? How did you find the motivation? Were you able to maintain a social life and other things in your life as you achieved your degree?

you may consider getting a master's degree in biology or biochemistry or a related field before applying to med school. i think it's totally understandable that you were unfocused when you were 18/19 (weren't we all?) i think that doing well in a master's degree with take you a long way towards medical school. it will look very good. that plus some volunteer work, that will help. don't worry about the ACT and SATs. you'll need to rock the MCAT.

Its not too late - never really too late. Depending on what you want to do.

It's a good thing you have a grasp of how long it takes to become an anesthesiologist. Just remember - it's going to be a VERY competitive (especially that specialty) and stressful road (in general).

I did/am not taking the MD route. However, I have several close friends going through it. They all entered with dreams of plastics, ob/gyn, psychiatry - but most end up doing family med. That's in Canada. The social life is there if you are committed to doing work when you have to do work.

As annie stated - the most important points are GPA, MCAT, and extracurriculars. I am not completely convinced doing a Masters/PhD is the best route to go - it depends on the schools you want to apply to. Some schools put graduate students in a different stream others don't. It couldn't hurt (generally speaking - unless get horrible grades in grad school and some schools do count this) - just remember the time/money/effort it requires.

There are some good forums out there for pre-meds too.

well, i didn't say the PhD route. i do know a guy who did a phd and it wound up hurting him when he applied to med school (looks too flighty! very smart, but it looks like he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life.) thus, you would need to write a very good essay explaining your life choices.

a 2 year coursework masters in biology is a way that some people I know did. A good GPA there can really help strengthen your application. but i would say that the PhD is too long a route to go down just to get into medical school. i do know some people who have done MDs/PhDs, mainly because they wanted to get into medical research.

I'll be completely honest. From your post, it doesn't sound like your mind is set right to pursue a career in medicine. The comment about an MD helping more people than an RN is particularly disturbing. RN's will typically have a lot more interaction with patients than the doctors. Don't think it's anything like "House". It's not.

But on a positive note, should you actually get your priorities straight, it's not too late to go to medical school. You'll need to pick up a full year each of Biology, Inorganic Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry, starting right away. Usually the inorganic is going to be a prereq for organic so that means two years right there. Since you're already in your third year of college, if you don't already have some of these courses, then you'll probably have to delay graduation a semester or two.

You'll need a solid foundation of mathematics, biology, and physics for the MCAT. That's something else you'll have to prep for. But the MCAT as well as proper course prep and good grades are only good enough to make sure you're not immediately cut when the admissions committee evaluates applications. Those things alone will not get you in.

To have a reasonable chance of admission, you're going to need clinical experience and good recommendations. If you're not already doing it, then you should be working as an orderly at a hospital or in some other comparable position that gives you practical experience with patients. You'll need a good recommendation from your supervisor for sure.

And to close, let me just say than if you're going into medicine for the money, don't. The field is more saturated now than it ever has been. With our highly litigious society and the astronomical costs of medical malpractice insurance, as well as too many MD's in the market for jobs, and your student loan bill, you're looking at a real financial struggle when you finish. Take into account the current health care reform and the fact that more doctors may come under government salary structures in the coming decade and you may really end up in a place you don't want to be. If you don't love people and love the job for its merits, then stay away.

That's the best advice I can give you.

I really like this post and agree with it.

Also, Onthewire - could I ask you... aside from common sense - where did you get the information regarding "too many MD's in the market"?

This isn't because I am doubting your statement at all - I really just would like to read such an article.

I don't expect the job to be like "House" or any other medical drama. My GPA is about 2.8 at the moment and that includes the classes I have done terrible in (3-4 classes). I have volunteer work from my teenage years (a summer volunteering at a nursing home). My current job of two years (April 2nd will mark the 2 years) involves me working in a group home with mentally handicapped individuals. My supervisor loves me and I am by far the best employee she has had over this time span. I would for sure get a good recommendation from her if this helped at all.

I was thinking the next two semesters coming up and even this summer I could focus on retaking classes I could of easily performed better in, and start taking transferable bio/chem classes.

I am really worried about the MCAT though. Is there certain requirements you must have in order to take the MCAT, and if there aren't many prerequisites what are your suggestions in preparing (coursework?) ?

P.S. - The only reason I brought up ACT/SAT would just be for looks. I could easily spend a month studying this summer and raise my scores (considering I didn't take these seriously when I was 18 ).

And just to make this clear even if it is repetitive, I don't want to go for a M.D. just for finances. I actually want to help people and going to school for those extra years and for the extra work is worth it in my mind. I am aware it is a competitive field too.

as far as i know, anyone can go in and take the MCAT. however, it will be helpful if you have a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, biochemistry and math. you should consider taking one of those Kaplan or Princeton Review classes for the MCAT. and you need to get your GPA way way up. whether by delaying your graduation another year and taking more biology courses and getting As. or by doing a master's degree.

the fact is, most people don't know what they want to do with their life at 18 and lots of people mess up in the first year of college. but you are still very young, and there is more than enough time to turn things around. the med admissions committee understand that. so, now you just have to do the work to raise that GPA, rock your MCATs, do the volunteer/orderly work in a hospital.

you can do it! good lulck!!!!

Unfortunately, your recommendation letters and even work/volunteer experiences don't help you pre-interview with most schools. There are simply too many applicants and they just need to interview those who meet the cut off. However, these are great experiences to have going into an interview

Sorry - ill be honest... any GPA 3.0 or lower is generally not going to get you into a medical school in North America but im sure you already know this. In Canada, you should have a minimum GPA of about 3.7 (cumulative) to be looked at. The last 2 years are the most important (again depending on school). The US I believe looks at your Science GPA - so as long as the courses you did poorly on weren't the sciences then you may be in better shape. Sometimes they suggest to people to do a second undergrad degree or more years to ramp up the GPA... depending on how many years left you have to improve.

The MCAT - you're looking to aim for at minimum of a 30 - but mid 30's or higher is better (it's out of 45). Preparation is all second year courses in biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics - anything in higher year courses is nice but not required to do well. Don't let this put you at ease though - they can take second year material and make it very difficult. The essay and verbal just require practice practice practice and read a lot. Oh and anyone can take the MCAT - but its not a cheap exam... so prepare well.

I would like the ability to diagnose and not be limited in the health care field.

You "diagnose" in a lot of healthcare professions. For example, psychologists help diagnose mental disorders.

You don't want to be limited to the "health care" field yet you want to be a medical doctor...? With that degree you will always be some way related to healthcare - even in a consulting fashion.

Let's assume I get at least 3.0 in every class, but my biology courses are 3.5 and greater. Would this be good?

Depends on the school. If the school looks at Science GPA only - then it will all core SCIENCE course - not just Biology. However, even so... 3.5 is a bit low and in Canada would likely not make it (variable in the US - simply more schools). I would aim for a 3.6+ in ALL courses and 3.8+ in sciences.

That being said - I have heard/know of people with 4.0's getting rejected and people with 3.4's getting accepted. It depends on the school.

You could always go the way of the Caribbean medical schools - Where a 3.0 may get you in.... the catch is 300k USD in debt when you're done.

I'm sorry if I'm being too broad. I want to obtain an M.D. because I want to be a doctor, just not sure what field (probably surgical). I've always had this passion but never really applied myself to school and remained average. These past couple weeks I've thought more and more about it and I decided I would like to pursue it. I realize it is a commitment and will take almost a decade to complete basic schooling, med schooling, internship, and residency.

However, I know I can do whatever I want as long as I apply myself. The difficulty I have is putting school as my main priority over everything else! I just need to find a way to motivate myself to pursue this career. For the next couple years I will retake the classes from the previous 4-5 semesters of college in order to bring my GPA up. After those two years, I will take another 1-2 semesters to fulfill biology/chemistry part of my education. From there I will probably have to retake my ACT and possibly take the SAT depending on the school. That is my plan so far, I just need to find the motivation in order to obtain 3.5+ GPA in everything not science related, and 3.7ish+ in everything that deals with science. I'm not overwhelmed or anything, I really just want to dig deep and fight the motivation in order to obtain the GPA.

The difficulty I have is putting school as my main priority over everything else! I just need to find a way to motivate myself to pursue this career.

Just think about the patients that may die if you become a mediocre doctor. If that's not motivating, you should probably consider another field.

Well said, Onthe Wire!

Over here the bar is set very high to enter medical school, which is the way it should be. It is not just the "points" (as they are called here), but the vocational suitability of the future medical student. I know because I am from a medical family. The course to initial qualification 6/7 years is arduous, very. Here there is a further four years mandatory training to engage in general practice. It is a long haul. You certainly need motivation from the word go, not just "trying" to get motivated. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I have what it takes to become a doctor".

Hermes

Archived