Is whiplash worse for people with fibromyalgia?

About a month ago, a friend of mine was rear ended in a car accident. Since then, she has been essentially bedridden with extremely severe whiplash along the entire length of her spine. Her doctor has given her medication (Vicodin), but it hasn't seemed to help much and it's still almost impossible for her to go about her daily activities.

I've looked online and found multiple articles linking whiplash to fibromyalgia, but all of those speak only about whiplash as a cause of fibromyalgia. My friend was diagnosed with fibro over 3 years ago. Does anyone know how pre-existing fibromyalgia affects whiplash, or have any advice about anything else that can be done to help her recovery?

I am not sure how it affects it but whiplash is unbelievably painful( I have had it four times) and I have permanent injury to one side of my neck and some limitation of movement on that side. It can take ages and ages to get to where you can cope and sometimes the injury can be permenant.

Well f***, that's not what I wanted to hear... I'm sorry you've gotten it so many times. Is it really possible it'll never get better? Tonight, when I left her house she was in so much pain it hurt her to even breathe; I don't even want to imagine her (or anyone) having to be in this much pain for the rest of her life... Granted, today was worse than usual, but even on her good days since the accident she can't walk without a crutch.

Well f***, that's not what I wanted to hear... I'm sorry you've gotten it so many times. Is it really possible it'll never get better? Tonight, when I left her house she was in so much pain it hurt her to even breathe; I don't even want to imagine her (or anyone) having to be in this much pain for the rest of her life... Granted, today was worse than usual, but even on her good days since the accident she can't walk without a crutch.

I am not saying she will be in horrendous pain for the rest of her life. But it is possible she will be in some pain. What improves the prognosis is to get some physio when she is able to and when her dr suggests it is OK. As far as I know Fibro is caused by over active nerves which causes the pain from that.It is possible if could affect her adversely but she really needs to discuss that with her dr and possible physio. The thing is these injuries heal very slowly so do not expect her to be doing any boogieing in the next few months.

You are right, it is most commonly thought that fibromyalgia is caused by over active nerves, which is why I thought her fibro might be making the pain worse than it "should" be. She has talked to her doctor about it some, and her doctor is looking into other possible treatments (and did mention physio, though she said it would be better to hold off on it for a while), I just thought I'd see what I could find out by talking to other people online who've had severe whiplash or fibro or both. Thanks

You are right, it is most commonly thought that fibromyalgia is caused by over active nerves, which is why I thought her fibro might be making the pain worse than it "should" be. She has talked to her doctor about it some, and her doctor is looking into other possible treatments (and did mention physio, though she said it would be better to hold off on it for a while), I just thought I'd see what I could find out by talking to other people online who've had severe whiplash or fibro or both. Thanks

They have to wait for the injury to "reduce" or the inflammation to reduce a bit before doing physio. I hope she heals well.

Archived