Let's Talk About STD's

KeepMe

I was debating rather I should post this here, or in the health category, but I felt here would be wise ... sorry if that's incorrect.

A couple questions I would like to ask, especially for young readers out there who may not have a clue. A friend and I were talking about virgins which made me think of these questions that even I wasn't too sure about. So...

Question 1 Is it possible for two people who are both virgins (we are talking "old time virgin meaning" as in, no penetration, no oral, heck not even touching of anyone others private parts.) Is it still possible that two virgins can pass an STD?

Is there any bacterial diseases that can be "produced" I guess you would say, just from having sex?

Question 2 Many people go into debate about this one. It is, Herpes. Knowing that Cold Sores are a form of Herpes, some will say that performing oral with a cold sore will result into genital herpes. However, a lot of people will not agree and say "No that is not possible, and if it is possible, it's a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 chance." I've read, and read, and have come accross so many different answers, I was just wondering what any of you might have thought about this.

Question 1. Well currently there is no scientific evidence that bacterial STIs can be passed by anything else than sexual contact. However some people claim it is possible to pass bacterial infections without sexual contact. Assuming that these two virgins didnt get an STI from their parents or during birth. The problem with this question are that things such as crabs, scabies and such are considered to be STIs but technically these can be passed without sexual penetration. There is no an exact answer to that question.

Question 2. Well there are two types of herpes infections HSV-1 and HSV-2, one is commonly considered to be cold sores while the other is considered to be genital herpes. Cross infections are possible. So it is possible to get both types of herpes. The important thing to remember that just because a person doesnt have an outbreak doesnt mean that they do not have HSV-1 or HSV-2. Both types of herpes can occur in either region.

I'm a microbiologist so i feel qualified to talk about this.

1 - I guess I am unsure of what you mean. are you talking about a virgin who somehow got an STD? like from a dirty instrument at a doctor's office? technically, women can get UTIs from sex (which results in a bacterial infection in the urinary tract) but that doesn't exactly qualify as a "STD." I suppose I could "give" myself an STD from some of the bacteria we have in lab, but that would require a true effort on my part. bacteria aren't just "produced", they have to come from somewhere!

2 - I know a person who did get HSV-1 (the typical 'cold sore' herpes) on their genitals through oral sex. It happens. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen more often. I think most people (well, doctors) just don't go to the trouble of determining if it is HSV-1 or HSV-2 (the 'traditional' genital herpes.)

"Let's talk about STD, let's talk about you and me, let's talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be..." Sorry, that was the song the title threw me into.

1) As far as I am aware, STD cannot be transmitted unless they exist in one person already. Some of these conditions can be passed on via birth to the child in some form or other, Herpes being one that I am aware of, although I'm not STD expert. But it's rare, so effectively two 'virgins' should only have to worry about pregnancy.

2) From the reading I've done, having had a couple of partners with Herpes, you can pass on oral herpes to the genital region and vice versa, but as they are different strains of the same simplex virus the chances are pretty small, not a billion to 1 as you suggest, but rare. But then, if you have done a bunch of reading, I'm not going to be able to give you different answers...

One statement though... Always practice safe sex. And if you are unsure, see your doctor and get some tests done.

not a bacterial infection, but one can also be born with HIV or get it through sharing needles or a blood transfusion (rare in the western world). thus, you could get HIV from having sex with a virgin.

the only bacterial infection that i can think of off the top of my head you can get while being born is gonorrhoaea on the eyes while coming out of the birth canal. though that would be treated at the hospital ASAP. it's not something that would stick around for 20 years.

not a bacterial infection, but one can also be born with HIV or get it through sharing needles or a blood transfusion (rare in the western world). thus, you could get HIV from having sex with a virgin.

the only bacterial infection that i can think of off the top of my head you can get while being born is gonorrhoaea on the eyes while coming out of the birth canal. though that would be treated at the hospital ASAP. it's not something that would stick around for 20 years.

I guess what I was asking was if two virgins who have never had anything and was both completely clean, could having sex between the two of them produce an STD. Of course reading you before post I figured nothing could be produced it has to come from somewhere. I was asking in curiosity they don't cover these sort of questions in sex ed. I've noticed a lot of 13-16 posters recently so I thought I would ask for young adults sake.

Back when I was in school years ago I took sex ed, but it was just a brush up. Basically all that was touched was the basics, never the risks of bacterias, and diseases you may get even when your clean. I've researched but could never get a clear answer. Not mention it's a scary world out there, new things get discovered everyday.

Thank you muches

Question 1 Is it possible for two people who are both virgins (we are talking "old time virgin meaning" as in, no penetration, no oral, heck not even touching of anyone others private parts.) Is it still possible that two virgins can pass an STD?

Is there any bacterial diseases that can be "produced" I guess you would say, just from having sex?

1) you can have herpes without having sex. A lot of young people who are virgins have HSV1 or 2 on there mouths. If you have HSV 1 or 2 you can give it to your partner orally or genitally.

Also you can have aids without sex. It is rarer these days know that we ar very aware of how it is transmitted. But back in the 80's people who had never had sex got AIDS from drugs, and getting blood.

If it is male, female sex you can give your female partner a UTI or BV. Although BV is more commonly passed between female female sex. I don't think either BV or a UTI is considered an STD or STI.

Question 2 Many people go into debate about this one. It is, Herpes. Knowing that Cold Sores are a form of Herpes, some will say that performing oral with a cold sore will result into genital herpes. However, a lot of people will not agree and say "No that is not possible, and if it is possible, it's a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 chance." I've read, and read, and have come accross so many different answers, I was just wondering what any of you might have thought about this.

Yes you can give HSV to your partner both orally and genitally if you have it. Most people who get "cold sores" have HSV 1 but about 25% have HSV 2. Thru oral sex they can be transmitted from genital to oral. It is less likely to pass while a person doesn't have a cold sore and isn't shedding the virus. But It can still happen. You shed the most before you test positive in a blood test.

I guess what I was asking was if two virgins who have never had anything and was both completely clean, could having sex between the two of them produce an STD.

No. They can not. However the male partner can give the female partner a UTI which is really uncomfortable. I got one from my first sex partner and I had to go to the doctor to get an antibiotic.

If you want to avoid a UTI pee before and after sex. I get chronic UTI's so I also take a pill that is just cranberry extract after I have sex. I went form getting them 2 or 3 times a year to once every couple of years. Some women don't have problems with it at all.

No. They can not. However the male partner can give the female partner a UTI which is really uncomfortable. I got one from my first sex partner and I had to go to the doctor to get an antibiotic.

If you want to avoid a UTI pee before and after sex. I get chronic UTI's so I also take a pill that is just cranberry extract after I have sex. I went form getting them 2 or 3 times a year to once every couple of years. Some women don't have problems with it at all.

Unlucky us, I have chronic UTI's as well. In fact, I'm just recovering from one. I get them so frequent that the signs hardly show up, I guess I had one close to a year that finally spread to all my organs, and stomach.

I'm really interested in the cranberry extract pill you take, is it prescribed by a doctor, or over the counter pill?

Unlucky us, I have chronic UTI's as well. In fact, I'm just recovering from one. I get them so frequent that the signs hardly show up, I guess I had one close to a year that finally spread to all my organs, and stomach.

I'm really interested in the cranberry extract pill you take, is it prescribed by a doctor, or over the counter pill?

link removed

I just buy it at my food co-op. I take it after I have sex or if I'm having sex normally I take it once a day. It works really well for me.

Yep, pretty much.

STD's don't just spontaneously arise.

As for HSV, the two strains are both extremely similar. The only difference is that HSV-1 prefers the to rest at the top of the spinal cord, and HSV-2 at the base of the pelvis. However, HSV-2 can live at the top of the spinal cord and vice versa, it is just uncommon. More than half of all people have HSV-1. They obtain it as young children from kissing relatives with it.

A lot of clinics do not screen for herpes without being requested to. And, if they do, they probably will only screen for HSV-2 and not HSV-1. Also, you can have either of these yet show no symptoms. Plenty of people who have HSV-1 do not get cold sores.

So, you can have a clean bill of health, yet give HSV-1 to your partner.

Archived