What is the new fad with labeling everyone as mentally ill?

It is something I do not understand but everyone label's their ex and auntie and second cousin's brother as mentally ill these days. People take it as fact even though there are no official diagnosis.How did everyone become a psychiatrist? This really kind of irks me. That people can go around and label whoever they want what they want. This is not something I EVER saw when I was younger. It never even entered my mind or the mind of anyone I knew. It is SO astounding to me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lessee...I trace it back to the pharmaceutical industry, actually.

If you can make it "a treatable medical condition" you can sell a boatload of pills. There weren't always direct-to-patient ads for medications, now it's commonplace. People think they know more...and perhaps they do. But they're getting knowledge from pharmaceutical advertising in many instances...and what is the goal of pharma advertising? To get people off their butts and go ask their doc for a prescription.

Yes I agree with you. I think people say this primarily to make themselves feel better about a person they are dealing with. Implying that they are mentally ill, psycho, sociopath, etc. allows them to feel better about themselves and appear more heroic in their battle with such an unstable individual.

Internet access.

20 years ago not many people would have picked up a psychology textbook or a copy of the DSM. Now you have a wealth of information available to you on your computer. All you have to do is type in a symptom or personality characteristic and every possibilty will show up.

This is obviously bad because it means there are a lot of unqualified people out there saying so and so has this or that. On the other hand, it can help people who do have something wrong with them by showing all the possibilities. Many people would prefer to have a label than to be called weird or freaky.

Yes. It annoys me too. I had a traumatic experience in my teens that made me a bit reluctant for awhile to make new friends and to warm up to people right away. Prior to it I didn't have that problem. Being the type that has a few really close and real friends versus having 100 friends plus being artistic, my parents have decided I have autism. I call it - hey, I'm artistic and crap happens. But they are sooo bent on me being mildly autistic - its like it will make them feel better if I have a diagnosis because it will "explain" why my mom and I don't get along like we should. It has nothing to do with the way she treats me at all. They were really confounded that a counseler diagnosed me as a very bright young lady who just doesn't like to go to pot parties.

Internet access.

I was actually going to type the same, so many conversation nowadays refer to the internet as if it's the ultimate source of information. People just assume what they read, see and hear on the internet is the 'fact'.

Maybe it does have to do with it?

I was actually going to type the same, so many conversation nowadays refer to the internet as if it's the ultimate source of information. People just assume what they read, see and hear on the internet is the 'fact'.

Maybe it does have to do with it?

I am sure it does, but people without training should not be making judgements about others.

back in the "good old days", women who did not want to have sex with their husbands were labeled mentally ill.

The only cure? For the doctors to give them orgasms of course!

Everyone is crazy to some degree. It's just when it affects you life that you have a problem and need treatment. And, I agree that labeling others is a good way to deflect your own short comings.

I wouldn't claim someone is for sure this or is that, but based on books I've read and the like, I can say to myself "This person fits most of the criteria, and based on their behavior, it seems highly likely he/she could be X or Y". And some of these books, mostly written by psychologists, SAY "If this person fits 8 or more of these 10 criteria, you could very well be dealing with a person like this and should carefully consider your relationship with them". I'm sure some people hear something and automatically diagnose the person, whether or not to make themselves feel better, but there are some people out there that do have a problem, and it's very clear.

But from what I understand, getting someone who does have an illness such as Bipolar or borderline personality disorder to actually get treatment or get diagnosed is nigh-impossible. Sometimes it's just the person being a total ass or a spoiled, immature brat, but if you read enough literature and if enough signs show up, it can be of help.

I am sure it does, but people without training should not be making judgements about others.

Even people WITH training misdiagnose people.

I see what you mean, sometimes it is taken too far. If i have had a personal experience with some things, i try to put out what i've learned about it. At times i'll recognize patterns in others that i've dealt with as well (in my case some anxiety and depression), so i feel the need to talk about what i've observed, but i wouldn't want to jump to conclusions.

back in the "good old days", women who did not want to have sex with their husbands were labeled mentally ill.

I hate to compare it to the days when anyone with black cats were labeled as witches and burned alive but guess no matter what era you live in there's always some stereotypical view or uneducated guesses and claims made to label one another.

It creates HUGE paranoia and making people think that the mentally ill are everywhere and just lying in wait to pray on people and make them suffer. This is not true and those who are mentally ill really deserve pity and help not made out to be the boogie man.

It creates HUGE paranoia and making people think that the mentally ill are everywhere and just lying in wait to pray on people and make them suffer. This is not true and those who are mentally ill really deserve pity and help not made out to be the boogie man.

I greatly agree with this. Do you know people with schizophrenia are cured higher in other countries than in America?

The reason is because Schizophrenia is a 'sensitivity' disease. While our culture pulls them out of society and throws them into a foreign environment with people who are also going through hard times, other countries keep them with their families.

As I said before, no one is perfect with mental health. It's not "the mentally ill" and "the mentally healthy", it's a spectrum. And those who have it affect their lives get treatment. There is no litmus test for saneness.

The reason is because Schizophrenia is a 'sensitivity' disease. While our culture pulls them out of society and throws them into a foreign environment with people who are also going through hard times, other countries keep them with their families.

Back in the day they used to just lobotomize them and lock them up.

I wouldn't claim someone is for sure this or is that, but based on books I've read and the like, I can say to myself "This person fits most of the criteria, and based on their behavior, it seems highly likely he/she could be X or Y". I'm sure some people hear something and automatically diagnose the person, whether or not to make themselves feel better, but there are some people out there that do have a problem, and it's very clear.

But from what I understand, getting someone who does have an illness such as Bipolar or borderline personality disorder to actually get treatment or get diagnosed is nigh-impossible. Sometimes it's just the person being a total ass or a spoiled, immature brat, but if you read enough literature and if enough signs show up, it can be of help.

Even people WITH training misdiagnose people.

Very true. I was diagnosed with an untreatable chronic illness a couple of years back, but I always felt that there was something wrong the diagnosis. I went to so many doctors who couldn't and wouldn't do anything. In the end I did all the research I could based on my symptoms, demanded some tests and eventually figured out what my real problem was.

If I had just left it to the professionals, I'd still be in the horrible state I was in.

I agree that we shouldn't be automatically assuming that someone who has a bad day is bipolar, but curiosity and access to this information can help a lot of people. I've come accross countless cases of people with similar stories to mine because they did their own research or someone (unqualified) put them in the right direction.

What I am saying is it is almost like creating a "witch hunt" like 300 and 200 years ago, ya know? It really does a disservice to those who ARE mentally ill and need help.

It's like the boy who cried wolf.

I'm especially alarmed with 'emo' culture among young persons. With all these kids talking about cutting and being depressed, it's hard to find the ones that actually are. And to show depression and loneliness as being 'cool' things, you are kind of belittling people who are lonely and depressed.

we shouldn't be automatically assuming that someone who has a bad day is bipolar,

Exactly - however, what do you tell yourself when you're with this person?

"They had a bad day. It happens."

"They had another bad day and threw something. I guess it happens."

"They had another bad day, cursed at me and embarassed me in public...is this normal?"

"They had another bad day, did all of the above and literally scared me with their behavior....okay, this is not normal, and there is something wrong with this person."

If this cycle continues severely enough, I think formulating the opinion that there is something seriously wrong with this person isn't an out of line assumption to make. To immediately say "Bi-polar!" is jumping the gun, but this is the point where you research...aaaand probably GTFO.

It's like the boy who cried wolf.

I'm especially alarmed with 'emo' culture among young persons. With all these kids talking about cutting and being depressed, it's hard to find the ones that actually are. And to show depression and loneliness as being 'cool' things, you are kind of belittling people who are lonely and depressed.

Hell, there are people like that who diagnose THEMSELVES to attract pity.

I am sure there are people on this board who have been diagnosed with something or family members have and it is really disturbing to see someone you love or yourself displayed as a predator who looks for innocent victims to reel in. The mentally ill are in real need of help and understanding.

Archived