Q for the guys: Do you always pay for your gf?

angela89

I'm talking about younger relationships, since marriage is a little different...

How important/unimportant is it for guys to always pay for their gfs, on restaurant bills, driving her places on your gas money, buying her things, etc.

My boyfriend of 7 months gets upset with me when I try to pay for my half of the dinner bill (offering to pay for the whole bill is out of the question), but he wont offer to buy me something that I've been eye balling at a clothing store...

I'm a student on a VERY tight budget, and he works full time and gets paid well.

Explanations? thoughts?

im not a guy, but i still want to share

well, my ex boyfriend and i always share our bills, like i pay today, he pays next time. and if it's too expansive we splits the bill.

and on the other hand, his roomates girlfriend who doesnt do anything, and her boyfriend just OK with his money, always have to pay everything for her, which i think he is crazy or really loves her.

I don't mind paying for food when we go out and since I get pretty good gas mileage that isn't an issue either. If we go out on a trip or some big ticket event, we'll usually split that. Same thing with hotels, concerts, ect.

I won't fund her shopping sprees though, she can ask her dad for that.

I'm a student on a VERY tight budget, and he works full time and gets paid well.

I think this is the reason here. He has money to play with, considers you part of him and to be able to share things like going out to dinner, he covers it. I would do the same. I don't consider it always me covering for her, or paying her way. He probably feels manly for being able to 'look after his girl' in this way.

However, I wouldn't cover my girl's clothing expenses though...

People have different ways of giving.

I've never had a bf who would get upset if I offered to pay. I've had bfs who wanted to and would try to treat as much as they could, either by paying or trying to 'even it up' with some other sweet thing like picking me up and so covering gas + whatever, and they have been more of the ones to show up with a gift of clothing and stuff.

I think it's just different ways of looking at giving and money, different expectations too. I haven't tended to date strictly traditional guys for too long, and they have tended to be the ones more generally putting importance on always paying for dinner and such in an early relationship.

I think though that a man who enjoys treating by paying for dinners out and such can do it without making a fuss over it and getting upset. I think that's more about his ego than treating you, honestly. lol.

Pretty simple for me.

IF they want to go out for dinner they pay.

If I want to go out for dinner I pay.

I like to go out for dinner once a week and I don't mean McDonalds.

I mean a nice and interesting restaurant.

isnt that only applies to normal friends? i dont think relationship works that way, but tahts just my way of thinking

I'm talking about younger relationships, since marriage is a little different...

How important/unimportant is it for guys to always pay for their gfs, on restaurant bills, driving her places on your gas money, buying her things, etc.

My boyfriend of 7 months gets upset with me when I try to pay for my half of the dinner bill (offering to pay for the whole bill is out of the question), but he wont offer to buy me something that I've been eye balling at a clothing store...

Explanations? thoughts?

I always pay. Even if we aren't a couple, I always pay. Of course, it doesn't get to the point where I let people use me because they know I will pay. And if the relationship gets to the point where the two people are serious and thinking about longevity or maybe marriage, I don't think it matters at that point.

This thread says:

I don't have money, he does. I want him to pay for things I want.

Doesn't work like that, be glad he's paying for your meals out.

Thing is, if you were going to pay for half the meal and he won't let you, put that money to one side and save it. Then after a few weeks you'll have enough to buy whatever it is you wanted - and essentially - he's bought it for you.

Personally I paid for the first few dates then we went dutch - it's not fair on the guy to be expected to pay all the time - where's the equality in that?!

I had to re-read what the OP had said before replying to d24's post.

It appears it comes downs to ethics.

And yours OP are a a bit out of whack when it comes down to being traditional.

In *cough* tradition the male is supposed to pay for dinning out.

If a female is wanting to dine out at the most expensive place more than too many times per week, then it's going to wear thin unless the guy is loaded or does not save or spend much on himself.

Depending on the price of the item you are (OP) wanting will also influence his decision in purchasing the item as to whether he will buy it or you should waste your money on it.

A worthy guy will know how to spend his money on himself as well as yourself.

Archived