Would like to send ex a short message and need advice

Hello, I haven't been on here for a bit, but I have a question:

I've had NC with my ex for nearly 8 months now. My brother texted me about two weeks ago saying that he ran into said ex and they chatted for a bit, with my ex asking questions about me and wanting to know where I was, how I was, etc. My brother changed the subject quickly (which is fine with me), anyway, my ex is leaving for military training within the month I've been told and I wanted to send him a short email wishing him well and good luck, etc. I've had some correspondence with is mom and neither of us has mentioned him until I slipped in that I knew he was leaving and could she give him my best wishes? She didn't respond to that. What is my course of action, if any? I do wish him well and I guess I just want him to know that.

Hmm.. I think that speaking to his mom is fine, but as soon as you bring him into it that's probably where things get weird.

If you want to speak to him you should email him. He knows how you are doing now. Is he suddenly thinking of getting a hold of you?

Are there a lot of feelings still there?

I would email him, if you call him it may put him on the spot. It could make him uncomfortable, and weird. First what are your intentions? Do you want to get back together, or possibly get back together? If not, then you should really think. Is it possible he was only asking about you because he ran into your brother, and you are obviously your brothers sister? In all honesty if I ran into my ex's sister, I would ask her about him just to make friendly conversation. It's almost the right thing to do, shows that you may not hold too much of a grudge, and you can be civil enough to talk about the ex.

If I were in your shoes, and I know because I've done this on my ex's birthday ... I would email him. Keep it short. Very brief. Maybe say "Hey, how you been? My brother said he ran into you the other day, and you are going off to training. Be careful! I really wish you the best of luck in everything. You have my best regards "Your Name."

Simple as that, nothing more. If he responds then the ball is in his court from there, and you'll have to respond wisely depending if you want to just be friends, just wish him luck, or try to have a relationship. I'm not sure if he is going to the military that you should get into a relationship, but that's up to you. =)

Thanks for your responses.

No, I am not looking to get back together. I've been down that path with him already right after we first split up, to no avail. He showed up in the area I live in with a male friend of his last summer, and contacted me out of the blue. I spoke with him then and a few times after and always got incredibly mixed signals from him, then nothing. It set me back for a bit, but it's been nearly 8 months since and I've had plenty of time without him in the back of my mind. I've come to terms with the breakup (two years in July), and I wouldn't say never if reconciliation became a possibility, but at this time I would just like to wish him well, and I want him to hear/read it directly from me. As far as I know, he is still with the same girl he got with three weeks after we split up (rude, I know), but I've forgiven any sort of anger or resentment that was eating at me for the longest time. He and I have known each other since 7th grade, and regarding this matter, I just felt the need to be cordial.

Very long-winded, I apologize. From what I've written, is it still a good idea, you think?

Archived