newwave

When reading about online dating, I am reminded of phone talk lines. I don't know if these were common everywhere but in my late teens/early 20's I often called these chat lines. I met many guys but most of them never became anything. Two guys became boyfriends. In a strange irony, one of the guys I ended up moving in with in 1993, and in 1994 I met the guy I currently like while still living with this guy (I was in the process of getting my own apartment). Because of this guy (he was an alcoholic) I was leery of getting involved with the guy I currently like (in hindsight I wish I had because now he's dealing with many of the issues I was dealing with).

Just a few of the memorable incidents:

One guy claimed to be a millionaire. I was naive then and believed him. He came to my house (driving a Ford Fiesta, should have been my sign he was lying) and talking about him marrying me. So we spent the day together and he told me he'd take me out to a nice dinner that night. He never showed up. I cried for days but kept thinking maybe something happened. So I called the number he gave me and it was a fake. I wrote a letter to his "address" and it came back "no known address". I still don't get why this guy did this.

I spoke to this one guy for months. I even sent him a photo of me. So we decided to meet up at a local museum. He brought people and I brought my friend Larry. Long story short he didn't like me because I was "too tall". He was only 5'8 and I'm not much shorter (5'6-5'7). However it doesn't stop there. The next day he got on the phone line talking about how terrible I was. He was vicious and not sure why. He didn't have to like me, but why did he insult me? I didn't lie at all. His friends incidentally were much nicer to me and cuter. I would have gone out with them.

Another guy I stupidly gave my phone number to. I thought he would call me, but instead showed up at my house! There was a number where it would give you the address of a phone number. That was creepy but luckily the guy told the phone line I was "hot".

Just a few stories (I did this for years) but it scared me off these phone lines.

I actually met my ex through a phone dating line. It was purely by chance as I didn't really think that anything good would come of it. I was looking more to just date casually and find interesting people to have fun with.

Then I got a message one day from this guy and he was really nice and I had a good vibe about him. He left his number and told me to call him anytime. So I ended up calling that day and we talked for 5 hours. The conversation was just flowing so naturally, it was almost like talking to someone that I have known for years.

We ended up meeting the very next day and it was great. He was the perfect gentleman and from that moment on, we knew that we wanted to see more of each other. Long story short, we were together for 8 years, lived together for 7 years.

You just never know who could be on the other end of that phone line....Might be Mr. Right.

That's a cool story. I've heard of a few people actually meeting their spouses on these lines before the internet. I dated two guys seriously from this. The first guy I am still in contact with but we broke uo because he lived 300 miles from me. The second guy (the one I moved in with) was an emotionally abusive alcoholic and I dumped him for good for a year.

Well I had some casual dates from the phone line before meeting my ex. The dates were really nice and I did meet some good guys, there just wasn't that connection per se until I met my ex. He was absolutely everything that I could have hoped for and more.

I remember the biggest problem I had with meeting these guys. Almost all of them lied about their looks. One guy claimed to be blonde and tall and toned and he was fat and short. I did meet a few guys who became friends actually, and even met a few women who also became friends (they were looking for platonic friends).

I remember another incident and this one is creepy. I was starting to model then and this guy claimed to be a photographer. So me and my one friend (then best friend) met him in the forest preserve. I know, not the best place. So he started taking photos and he said "I know what will lighten this up" then pulled down his pants and started well, you know. He convinced he'd help my friend become a model if she helped him (she did for a few minutes). So eventually we left and he started stalking both of us. He then started sending us photos of underage kids. We went to the police station and this guy was convicted and sent to prison.

Here's another incident. Me and the same friend met this guy I had been chatting with for years. My friend told me she got bad vibes and asked me to go to the store with her. When we got back he was gone. Turns out he sexually assaulted another woman that night. I often wonder about that, if we would have been the victims.

Archived