Goals as parents

faithful14

My goal was to raise happy, healthy, well adjusted kids with strong morals and values, who don't do drugs or go off the rails etc, and I have thankfully achieved that. I'm extremely proud of them. They are my pride and joy.

I hope I can say the same in the future with our three year old daughter.

For my wife and I, it's the same and more than anything we want her to respect and have an open minded view about the world and always think outside the box. And to take care of her body for long healthy life. The list goes on but that's what comes into my mind at the moment. We can only hope she'll carry some of the trait if not all and pass it down to her children.

I hope I can say the same in the future with our three year old daughter.

For my wife and I, it's the same and more than anything we want her to respect and have an open minded view about the world and always think outside the box. And to take care of her body for long healthy life. The list goes on but that's what comes into my mind at the moment. We can only hope she'll carry some of the trait if not all and pass it down to her children.

This too...

My son is 12 months old and he is amazing. I want him to have an outgoing and curious personality. I want him to push against barriers, fight for what he believes in, yet know the boundaries and limits of how far he can push. I want him rational, analytical, yet artsey, free thinking and not afraid to do what he wants. I want him to learn to swim and to learn a form of martial art. I think this will help him as he grows to get his feelings out and to give him a way to express himself. I want him to be a child. To play in the mud and dirt, to jump in mud puddles, and to experience every single thing that he possibly can. I want him to be confident and self assured. I want him to be respected, but to also respect others and animals. I want him to be likable and friendly and to not judge people. I want him to be the life of the party and the class clown, but at the same time, I want him to be a agood student who excels at schoolwork and does it very easily. I want him to love his family and know that he can rely on us and trust us to always have his back and to always be there for him, no matter what. I want him to love and to experience heartache. It hurts but it proves that life does go on. I want him humble and curtious...to open doors for people, to say please and thank you and to be the best that he can be.

And most importantly, I want him to be true to himself and if that means casting aside what I want, then I will gladly do it, as long as my son is true to himself and what he believes.

I want my boys to:

1) Be happy. Whatever that means to them.

2) Be Industrious. I hope they pursue careers that excite and inspire them. Honestly, I don't care if they become doctors or streetsweepers, as long as whatever they do, they do it with passion and to the best of their ability. I expect my kids to learn to be self-sufficient so that if they lost everything they had, they would have the fortitude to get up, dust themselves off and start over.

3) Be Kind, with a Generous Spirit. My children are lucky, born to a family that wanted them, and who will be able to provide amply for them. Not everyone is so lucky, so I hope to raise them to be aware and not judge others using their lives as the measuring stick. We all have different opportunities and obstacles. My children will have more of the former and less of the latter, so I want them to learn to be charitable and kind to others who weren't as lucky.

4) To be Curious, and Seek Knowledge- I hope to instill in them an interest in history, science, cultures, languages, nature- anything that will take them outside the boundaries of their world. It's an amazing world out there, and I want them to experience it

5) To Live Life According to their Values- I hope to prevent as much as possible a jaded view of life. It's easy to surrender your principles because "everyone else is doing it", but if we all lived as if the world operated the way we thought it should, it would move in a more positive direction. I want my boys to be brave enough to stand up to others and say "this is not right", and to do the right thing, whatever that may be at the time.

6) To Learn to Face Life's Setbacks with Grace, Courage and Determination.

7) To make Integrity, Kindness, Hard Work and Self-Awareness the cornerstones of their character....

Of course, right now, they're only 2 and 5, so I'll settle for potty training, and tidying up the toy room.....

As much like this as possible....everyday I see more of who he will be as an adult because he is becoming a teenager.

What I admire most about him is his kindness and pure love for the world. His acceptance of how each person is . His lack of judging people and his persistance.

Over all I want him to be happy and kind....and he has achieved those already, every single other thing he does in his life is a bonus.

I wanted to raise a child who was happy with themselves no matter what that turned out to be. I achieved that. Being a sports nut, I also wanted this child to love sports, like me. I got all of that plus a child who does not smoke, do drugs, or engage in any kind of dangerous behavior. He's not entirely like me in that he isn't as career driven as I am, but I can live with that.

Be optimistic so that he can find happiness no matter what.

Love to learn so that he can always seek out opportunities to improve himself and find joy in that.

Realize that he is no more and no less important than everyone else so that he treats everyone with compassion.

Know that he is a steward of the earth and has a responsibility to leave it in better shape than he found it.

Be a great partner to someone so he can espouse my ideals in that relationship and in his children.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived