Considering a Nursing Career..Does anyone have Experience in this Area?

So...I've been pretty bored and miserable in my profession for a while now. I feel like I need a complete career overhaul and do something more rewarding with future prospects.

I've always secretly thought nursing would be a really good career, because it means I'll be helping people. I feel like it could be very interesting too, as I've always been very curious and interested in health and biology. I did really well at school and came away with good grades. I've since been to college and University and gained a degree in art, something I was very passionate about. However as a career, this has disappointed me. I feel one of the reasons Im so depressed and bored sometimes is my lack of motivation and I feel like a career in Nursing would give me a purpose, as well as being an unselfish and caring position. I would feel more like a valued member of society I think also.

I would be applying for a job as a healthcare assistant first and then progressing onto nurses training as our local hospital runs an educational programme where you can gain skills and learn while you work.

However, the problem is I am very nervous about it. Its something I have often thought would be a really good thing to do, but I've never had to really face any of the situations that nurses face day in day out. I'm not particularly squeamish but it worries me in case I switch careers and find I can't cope for whatever reason. I feel like its something that needs to be thought through really carefully. I'm naturally a very caring person and I like people, and enjoy communicating with them. But there are elements of the job that frighten me, perhaps because its the world of the unknown.

There are certain things I'm worried I might struggle with I suppose as I'm a natural worrier at times! A demanding position like this is something that I would love to be a part of, but I feel I should only do it if I can be the best I can be. It's peoples health at stake. Also another fear is that I would get emotionally attached to certain patients and families who are going through a particularly traumatic time and I have a great deal of empathy when people are suffering.

Does anyone on here work in the health sector or know someone who does? Either as a HCA or a Nurse or even a doctor? I would really like to hear from you for any advice you may have for me. I would like to know truthfully the good things and bad things. And whether based on what I have told you about myself, whether a career in nursing would be for me or if I should do something else.

Thanks x

I'm preparing to enter nursing school. I'm an EMT/Red Cross disaster volunteer, and I work at hospitals. I know that this might not mean much, but I actually was going to become a doctor and changed my mind because what interested me the most was patient contact and building a relationship with the patient, as opposed to barely seeing them and diagnosing them and that's it. Nurses are awesome. You make great money, help people, and still have time to raise a family... which is all I am looking for

I don't have a lot of information. But I work as a phlebotomist & a lot of my coworkers are CMA's, LPN's & RN's. I didn't know it, but you can actually get your RN from some community colleges in under 4 years. If you already have some college, it might be even faster if you don't have prereq's to take.

We don't work at a hospital so I don't know much about working with patients. I think nurses work very long hours & busy days. I kind of doubt there is much attachment to patients, most people are in & out of the hospital. So unless you work in a long term care area, I don't think that will be an issue.

You know, you don't HAVE to work in a hospital. I have a Bachelor's degree in psychology & I started at my job at $13.50 an hour. The people that started with a RN started at $18. Even though we do exactly the same job (which actually kind of annoys me but whatever). You can still make pretty good money even if you aren't in a hospital setting. I work at a blood bank. Pretty crazy hours & long days sometimes, but it's not a bad deal. Especially if I started at $18/hr.

I have two friends who are nurses - one is a LPN - 30+ years in the field, the other is an RN - 20+ years in the field.

As long as you can cope with bodily functions, the benefits that I can see for both of them is that there are tons of jobs in this field, the pay can be really good especially if you get into specialty nursing, you can work contract work easily so you could have a flexible lifestyle if you wanted, there are lots of different shifts and schedules after you get some experience under your belt.

The downsides are that work can be physically demanding, depending on the setting you work in, the hours can be long, and if you can't handle the emotions from your patients and their families, that could burn you out.

I actually think that for young people who can handle blood, vomit, etc, nursing is a great career choice because there is only going to be an increased need for nurses as our population ages.

Archived