Would you let your child call a granparent

Seraphim

Only if the grandparent asked if they could.

Otherwise, no. I don't really know why I feel it's good to call your parents mum and dad, and your grandparents nan and grandad, but that's just how it is.

In some ways, taking the title away seems like taking away the respect you should get with it. I can't imagine calling my grandad by his first name. It would be like saying we were on the same level and we're not, I'm his granddaughter.

Nope. I think it is a matter of respect. If the grandparent doesn't want to be "Grandma" or "Grandpa", they can choose to be called Papa, Pops, Nana, Grammy, Nona, Bubie, Mame' (French prounonced sorta like Mom-MAY) etc. Goldie Hawn is "Glam-a" I think.

I knew one family, and my ex's family too where everyone was on a first name basis. There were a lot of blurred boundary lines - and some of the little kids were really confused. I was riding with my ex, his nephew, sister and aunt once. The 5 year old told kids at school that he didn't have a grandma and grandpa (he was a friend's family), and the 6 year old who was in my ex's family suddenly had a revelation that my ex was his uncle! He said that he thought he was an uncle, but didn't know how. He thought maybe he was his grandfather's brother. (grandfather passed away when he was one, so he really didn't know him), but just figured out that day that he was his mom's brother. Also, the kids (the adults in their 20-40 versus the adults in their 50s-70s) would call their mother's first name in a derogatory way/rude way too. Sometimes she was "mom" but they used to yell "Joyce!" like they were scolding her.

I am not saying not callling people by their titles CAUSES line blurs, disrespect, etc, but it happened to be that all the families I knew that did this had those things in their family.

Only if the grandparent asked if they could.

Otherwise, no. I don't really know why I feel it's good to call your parents mum and dad, and your grandparents nan and grandad, but that's just how it is.

In some ways, taking the title away seems like taking away the respect you should get with it. I can't imagine calling my grandad by his first name. It would be like saying we were on the same level and we're not, I'm his granddaughter.

I agree with you.

I don't think it would be an issue if that is what he has gotten used to.

They both get a great laugh out of it,actually and my father in law does not mind because it is his grandson. He is very stern otherwise. My son is their only grandchild, so they might allow things like that because there are no others for him to influence.

I think if the grandparent was okay with it and it wasn't out of disrespect (rebellious teenagers doing it to revoke authority), then it's fine.

One of my friends has called his parents by their first names pretty much since birth. They are hippies and that's the kind of relationship they want with their children.

That is the thing. My son has called his grandpa by name since he was like 20 months old. He does not do it out of disrespect,it is now habit. He is always respectful, he even calls his teacher "Miss" He does it cause he could not say grandad. His grandpa got a great kick out of a baby who said his name. My son recognized that. It is one of the things that makes them closer.

That is the thing. My son has called his grandpa by name since he was like 20 months old. He does not do it out of disrespect,it is now habit. He is always respectful, he even calls his teacher "Miss" He does it cause he could not say grandad. His grandpa got a great kick out of a baby who said his name. My son recognized that. It is one of the things that makes them closer.

Then I don't think there is a problem at all. Sounds cute.

My middle son renamed ALL of their grandparents when he was little. My oldest called them "Mama/Papa B" and "Mama/Papa *Smith" Then the middle one came along and changed them to Bee/Bubba (no clue where that came from), *Smith*(with no "Mama") and Papa. It's actually kinda funny now because we ALL call my in-laws that now (even their other two daughters). We got them a personalized sign at a craft show once and I had to write down what we wanted it to say because the guy wasn't understanding that I wanted it to say "*Smith* and Papa's House." Anyway, I say if he's okay with it, I wouldn't worry about what other people think.

*Smith* is not their real last name

Archived