I recently applied for an internship and was wondering if I should send a follow up email. Some people I've talked to recommend it, others say I shouldn't. So I thought I'd ask on here and get some more input.

I applied at the end of Feb. and I did get a conformation email saying that they had recieved my application and would let me know within the next month or two. It is a very competetive position with lots of applicants so I was told it might be a good idea to send a follow up letter letting them know that I am here if they have any furthur questions, thanks for consedering me etc. Basically it is just a way of being a bit more aggressive and putting my name out there. The other person I talked to said that if they are getting lots of appliacations then they probably don't want a bunch of random emails and that if they need to contact me they will.

So do you send follow ups or let it be? I guess I could have just asked that as a simple one line but oh well. Thanks guys.

so would I just call and leave the person a message?

I don't think I'd go in person as that seems too forward, and that is what an interview is for. But maybe I'll call instead of email, or write a hand written note?

It depends on the job - going in person can be seen as too forward. However, if it is a job that requires a lot of people interaction (say, customer sales rep)... then I would think the fowardness *could* be seen as a positive. It proves you're not an introvert.

I would leave a message only if I can't get them directly.

Archived