This is weird... Strange email from ex

uncomfynumb

So I'm sitting at my computer and I get two emails from the ex but they are not emails that he wrote to me, rather emails that Microsoft Outlook sends back to the sender to let them know that the recipient read the mail or not.

Both emails were sent back as "deleted but not read" emails. And the emails were some that I sent to him after we broke up the first time. I know he must have read them because he called me about one of them and that is kinda how we ended up back together.

I'm really scratching my head over this one. They were both sent to his work email. Maybe he was cleaning out his inbox? But how could have read them but not read them?

So I'm sitting at my computer and I get two emails from the ex but they are not emails that he wrote to me, rather emails that Microsoft Outlook sends back to the sender to let them know that the recipient read the mail or not.

Both emails were sent back as "deleted but not read" emails. And the emails were some that I sent to him after we broke up the first time. I know he must have read them because he called me about one of them and that is kinda how we ended up back together.

I'm really scratching my head over this one. They were both sent to his work email. Maybe he was cleaning out his inbox? But how could have read them but not read them?

I don't know, and you should not worry.

This person is not in your life anymore

Be happy and enjoy life.

With some email programs you can view the email without actually "opening" it. It gives you a viewing pane at the bottom where you can scroll through what's written. I use that for the exact reason that I don't always want the sender knowing I've read it. That way if they send me an email with a read receipt request and they ask "Did you get this?" I can say no.

Yes, as 'theBOB' says, Outlook has a preview pane that allows you to view the email without opening it. I think this is handy as I consider read receipts a bit of an invasion of my privacy. I don't want someone knowing what I am up to, if I am reading the emails etc etc.

With some email programs you can view the email without actually "opening" it. It gives you a viewing pane at the bottom where you can scroll through what's written. I use that for the exact reason that I don't always want the sender knowing I've read it. That way if they send me an email with a read receipt request and they ask "Did you get this?" I can say no.

Ahhhh... This makes sense. And you are sneaky!

Yes, as 'theBOB' says, Outlook has a preview pane that allows you to view the email without opening it. I think this is handy as I consider read receipts a bit of an invasion of my privacy. I don't want someone knowing what I am up to, if I am reading the emails etc etc.

But then if it sends the "Deleted without being read" that can just as easily let the other person know what you are up to.

I usually have all my emails sent like that so that I can say, yes, I sent the email and you got it and I have proof. More for professional reasons than personal. In the case of these, I had sent him several emails that he didn't respond to prior to this so I wondered if he even got them.

And yes, it does make me think what he is up to now as we talked about email along time ago and he said he always deleted them after he read them so that no evidence would stay in his inbox (we worked together.) So I wonder why he is just now getting around to deleting these?

hummmm.....

OK, I'm going to masterbate to images of Eduardo Verastegui! That should straighten me out!

Ok, so shoot me guys but I sent my ex yet another email when I got those emails back last night and asked if he never even read the emails that I sent him. That was before I created this thread. Sorry for leaving out that very important piece of information. la dee da!

And so he replies back this am:

I read all but one e-mail that I was aware of. You called me before I had a chance to read one of your e-mails a while back and told me what you said in the e-mail before I read it so I deleted it. I do not remember what the e-mail was about, but it was nothing serious. Also, when you have marked the e-mails to send you a response when I read them, I clicked do not send response just for the heck of it and that might also show as not read. Also, I have recently been finding your e-mails in my junk mail so there may be some I never received. To sum all of this up, if you did not tell me in advance what was in the e-mail, I read them!

Just for the heck of it eh? That is dishonest and sneaky! Must be a man thing eh BobbyC?!

I wonder how many emails made it into his junk mail box that he just now might be reading. That is actually kind of scary....

I'm starting to hate technology. Someone take my computer from me quick!!!

Also, when you have marked the e-mails to send you a response when I read them, I clicked do not send response just for the heck of it and that might also show as not read. Also, I have recently been finding your e-mails in my junk mail so there may be some I never received. To sum all of this up, if you did not tell me in advance what was in the e-mail, I read them![/i]

Just for the heck of it eh? That is dishonest and sneaky! Must be a man thing eh BobbyC?!

QUOTE]

Yes, it gives you the option to not send a read response too. But why are you sending him emails requesting return read receipts? That's just as sneaky!

And don't generalize all men as being dishonest and sneaky. I will only do that when I get an email asking me to do some menial task. Shhh.... That's a secret.

i know we have different perspectives, but i have to say - your ex seems entirely consistent to me. i think the underlined portion of his email was a polite, honest, and tactful way of communicating that he didn't like the 'read return receipt' that you included...were he more brutal about it, he might have said something like 'it ticked me off that you attached the 'read return receipt', so i clicked 'do not send response' in order to quietly convey my displeasure at it, and defend against what i feel was an invasive thing'.

i know that at work, when somebody sends a 'read return receipt', i personally feel it's invasive and my response is to quietly move their particular request to the very back of my work queue.

just wanted to add that i saw a great post-signature quote from a super moderator on here, from dr. wayne dyer:

'people will treat you in the way that you teach them to treat you'.

very true, and important to remember.

i think your ex is attempting to teach you how he'd like to be treated.

1) That Eduardo character is whoa...like him better with the short hair tho-more rugged

2) Don't think your ex is trying to play games, he sounds very up front about how he has responded to your emails

3) I know that you have the "move on stay strong" mantra going for you. And it's really cool, I love your threads. But even with that you're human...( i think )and you have to admit that you have some kind of hope in terms of what his actions mean, but what he does isn't supposed to matter anymore. I mean if he read the emails or not, it wouldnt change the status of your relationship with him. So I think we have to all learn to move on from the minor things as well as the big she-bang. The little things can make you stir crazy-Trust me I know

Hey BobbyC, I was teasing when I generalized all men as dishonest and sneaky. And for the record, I'm sneaky too!

troubelis,

I'm not really complaining; yesterdays email had me scratching my head for a minute. I won't go into all the details of what was going through my mind but at the tail end of those, was my being anything but a nice guy or playing with me.

You seem to read into things just a little much and take things just a bit too seriously, just like the duty dating and internet dating stuff. Lighten up a bit.

Makesthebest,

I hear you girl. I don't let this stuff get to me, or bother me for any length of time. This unsettled me for about 30 minutes and I had let it go after reading the comments from the guys earlier. When I got his email this am his answer satisfied me.

And no, my ex is not the type to play games. I did wonder earlier why he didn't delete the emails a long time ago but he probably over looked it. Not a big deal.

Archived