An ugly smile?

Dougie_D

I physically can't smile. I was born with an overbite, crooked teeth, etc. My orthodontists did what they could do for me to have a "better bite".

But when I smile, the only time I can show any teeth is when I slightly open my mouth. No one sees my lower teeth unless I pull my lips down.

When I open my mouth, like laughing, yawning, my teeth (boom!) stand out because of the overbite.

Anybody have this problem? Doesn't make someone not as attractive because of it? How should I deal with this? Is it a big deal? I hate it when people think I'm not smiling...I really am, it just looks like a huge grin!

I think you are being nice. Thanks. I've never had anyone say I have a nice smile though. I've had people to tell me to close my mouth more...and say, "please don't yawn near me,"...kinda makes me mad. Everyone says that I need to have confidence. I always do. It's just hard for me to find ladies.

Cool, thanks. I get insecure about a lot of things. It's hard to think you are normal when you hear a lot of negative things about yourself. I used to not be concerned about my looks, really, until people started to make fun of me in college. Or if they did in highschool, I really didn't "feel" it. They used to make fun of my ears and other things...College was almost about "everything." I guess because no one really knew me when I was younger. And I guess you look a little different too. People in college made fun of my chin almost everyday. Called me "chinless." Apparently no one cared in highschool to make fun of me. Argh!!!!

Hmm. In my experience, people don't typically pick on people about their looks because of their looks. I was teased mercilessly in junior high about my own overbite, my stomach, everything. It really took a long time to get over--I thought of myself as some kind of monster. The funny thing is that with 15 years of distance, when I go back and look at my photos, I see there was absolutely nothing abnormal about me, and if anything, I was actually a pretty little girl. I don't know why they were picking on me; it may have been that I was poor, or the only non-white kid, or whatever--but it had nothing to do with how I looked.

I had same issues with my teeth, but i had an underbite and i had to get surgery man did that ever suck. Did you ortho dr. talk to you about it ? Cause i know alot of people with an overbite don't have it. As for the pic of you in your avi there are 1,000s of people who have the same issue and you would not reconize.

Just cover your mouth when you yawn. That is what everyone should do, at least I think so.

It's impossible for me to understand what you mean unless you made a movie. A photo doesn't really work. Anyway, we all have our flaws we have to deal with. If it were me, I wouldn't smile hugely if I felt uncomfortable with that. Not everyone has to go around grinning, do they?

I checked to see if not covering your mouth when yawning is considered bad etiquette. I found it listed in Wikipedia, along with other bodily function etiquette. I can't stand to see someone yawning with their mouth wide open. It really makes me feel sick. So I can see why people would ask you not to do this, Dougie. Don't take it personally.

Bodily functions

* One should attempt to suppress yawning in polite company, concealing the mouth with the hand, to avoid appearing bored.

* Blowing one's nose should be done into a tissue or handkerchief, and never while eating. It is preferable to do so, along with habits which should not be done around others, such as nose and ear picking, by excusing oneself and doing so in private.

* It is impolite to burp, cough, or sneeze without covering one's mouth with a handkerchief in front of others.

* Chewing with one's mouth open, slurping or making excessive noise while eating are all considered impolite.

* Passing gas in front of others should be avoided, but when it occurs, no polite party makes any comment, not even "excuse me."

Yea. Remember:

EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION. THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS IS YOUR OWN.

So if you think your smile is ulgy... guess what? IT IS!

........ But if you think it looks GREAT... then it does!!!!!!!!!

You only live this life once man so love EVERY bit of your being as who you are now and who you may NEVER be again.

Attraction can happen for a number of reasons. It isn't completely based on looks, which are sometimes quite overthought. Someone could be attracted to you by the kind of energy you give when you talk, how confident you are in your posture, how well you listen, how articulate you are in your language, a particular look to your eyes. To say to yourself that you think you have an ugly smile is only true if you believe it to be true. If you compare yourself to some kind of ideal instead of comparing yourself to no one but yourself, then you will never realize authenticity.

I don't think about whether my smile is ugly or not. A friend of mine once said I have a very warm smile. I guess it is, I don't know. It doesn't matter.

Besides, you look fine, Doug. If I were to run into on the street, you'd come off as totally everyday. You tend to be too hard on yourself. Confidence is when your mindset is: I love myself, feet planted on the floor, and will not let undesired outcomes throw me down.

Archived