Can't take my own girlfriend to prom...

Diablo7000

Ok so last week my girlfriend asked if I'd go to prom with her and I said yes. Well Wednesday afternoon I was asking her what color tux she would like me to wear and she said I'm not sure if you can go with me now. Before we started dateing there was a guy she was with off and on but he moved to Maryland so they had a long distance thing going and he would come down every now and then to see her. Well her mom and his mom are good friends and her moms making her go with him! Apparently a plane tickets ardy been bought and everything. Well after hearing this I've been furiouse alllllll day and she knows it. I trust her and I don't think that'd shed do anything with him but I'm afraid he's gunna come down here and beg for her back and I don't want her to give in. Furthermore I think it's BS that me, her own boyfriend, can't even take her to prom. She wants me to go, not him. She doesn't even like him and when she tries to tell her mom she wants me to go she just brushes it off like it's nothing. How F'd up this!!!! I'm really considering saying either he goes to prom with you and you lose me, or I go to prom and you can forget about him.... This has been eating at my mind all day and I really need some advice on what I should do, I'm not gunna share my girlfriend for a day, not even for a minute, that's not how I work, I don't play games. Please help

Take her anyway, how funny would that be that the ex is there ready to take her and she's already left lol

her mother has no right to make this deicison for her unless you've been a particularly bad influence on her daughter..... have you?

Not at all her parents really like me, that's why I don't understand. They are strict but I mean this is dumb! Do they want her to look like a W****? I mean think about it, she's gunna be dateing me then shows up at prom with another guy that isn't her boyfriend? What will her friends think of her? I mean even aside from me not wanting her to go with him, it's bad in general just for her sake alone, this is stupid. I'm just gunna ask her mom what color her prom dress will be so i know what color tux to get and see what she says then I'll get to business on why I should go and not him. But honestly my gf is gunna have to choose between going with me or losing me. I'm not gunna put up with this bull crap. If she lives me as much as she says then I guess we will find out...

I'm really considering saying either he goes to prom with you and you lose me, or I go to prom and you can forget about him....

No. Bad idea. It's not her fault, and if she wants to go with you, why do that to her?

Take her anyway, how funny would that be that the ex is there ready to take her and she's already left lol

her mother has no right to make this deicison for her unless you've been a particularly bad influence on her daughter..... have you?

^^Good idea - if you can talk to her Mom and inform her first, even better. I like your idea about asking her Mom about what colour tux you should get, good thinking

Seriously though, I don't know how close you two are, but ditching her on the strength of something her strict parents are forcing on her is a loser move. If it's that important to you, why not fight for her rather than expect her to fix it.

Don't get rude or aggro, but if it comes down to a stalemate when you're talking to her Mom, say that youre taking her daughter to the prom, and that you hope she won't make her daughter's ex live down the embarrassment of flying all the way down just to be stood up.

I can see why you would make an issue of this - I would be very concerned that your girlfriend would allow her mother to choose her date for the prom. I think this would be a dealbreaker for me too.

But I would not talk to her mother about it - this is something your girlffriend should deal with on her own. And if she isn't prepared to do that then she is making her own choice and you can see where you stand.

I have a different idea. Why don't you and your girlfriend approach her mother together? Talk to her and let her know that you two are a couple and so it should be that you two go to prom together. Then her mother will see that you both support each other in this and it might soften her up.

Archived