Possible long-distance relationship

We met (I'll call him T) in June 2009 via a common interest forum. After talking for a week or two, T came to visit me at work (we had been talking about him coming to see me, but I canceled the day of and he showed up by surprise). It went rather well, though we went several months without talking due to schedules. We reconnected in November 2009 and have been talking rather consistently ever since.

T is originally from a town close to me, but is stationed in Maryland where he serves in the Army. There's no danger of him going overseas as what he does is something he'll only do in Maryland. Anyway, he may get out in a year due to his back injury. If not, it'll be 3 more years.

I, on the other hand, am studying at a local college which I graduate from in May 2011. From that point, the plan is to either get a job here or elsewhere.

As mentioned, T and I have been talking a lot lately and it's been apparent that we both kinda sorta have romantic feelings toward one another. He asked me the other day about us possibly beginning a relationship, as he feels it could turn into something pretty serious since we have so much in common and want the same things. I told him I would think about it, as this semester is finishing up for me and will be busy. He's been patient about things and wants to wait for me.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, would it be wise to go forward with a relationship? I know we have a lot in common, and we're both willing to do visits and whatever it takes to see each other enough, but I also know LDRs are tough, so I'm looking for advice.

You seem to have given this a lot of thought and appear to be going into this with your eyes wide open, and he has done the same.

You could let him know your concerns and tell him that you want to see him, but that you aren't sure how you feel about an LDR. At the moment, you don't have to commit to anything. You might go and see him, and then decide that you aren't as interested as you thought that you would be. If you are interested, you can always decide whether what you have is special enough to sustain an LDR. You both seem to be thoughtful, respectful people, so it is worth a shot.

Archived