Open Club  ·  23 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

So, how would a non white person be treated in western Europe?

xShannyx

Tomorrow, I will finally hand in my study abroad application and if I'm accepted I will go to Germany this summer. I don't like to bring race into it, but I am curious since I will be living with a family there, going to a university, going on field trips, etc. From forums I've read it doesn't seem like I would have a problem, but I always like to hear from other people : ) All input is welcomed.

Ignorant people can be found anywhere, but as a general rule I think you'll be treated very well and just as one of your white peers would be. There is a mix of races in Germany, so you'll hardly be the only one or a "novelty".

Where in Germany will you be studying? I spent a summer there and had a wonderful time.

Ignorant people can be found anywhere, but as a general rule I think you'll be treated very well and just as one of your white peers would be. There is a mix of races in Germany, so you'll hardly be the only one or a "novelty".

Where in Germany will you be studying? I spent a summer there and had a wonderful time.

I'll be staying in Kassel(it's in the middle) : )

I'll be staying in Kassel(it's in the middle) : )

I have not been there, but I'm sure you'll have a great time! I spent a summer in the Southwestern corner. Everyone was very friendly, welcoming, happy to speak with me in German.

Some of the food can be questionable, but most of it is really quite delicious!

It will be a fun adventure for sure. I hope you enjoy it!

I'm black american, and I lived in germany for many years due to my dad being in the military. The ppl in germany are very friendly but I also noticed back then I was looked upon kindof like an alien. Would get the stares whenever I'd go out to the market etc. But I think thats Mostly due to there not being many minorities there, not sure if that has changed now. But I never had a problem with ppl there, courteous and friendly, from my experience.

From my experiences Europeans seem to be much more accepting of different races and ethnicities. I'm Caucasian but I noticed people just seemed to be more laid back and there weren't as many biases. But like someone else said you will find rude and ignorant people where ever you go. I met so many amazing people when I was in Europe of all different nationalities, races, religions etc. It was really cool and I learned so much. I think you will have a great time, and I'm so jealous you get to go! I'd love to go back and study.

You need to realise that Europe is a continent and as such is made up of many different countries and cultures. Statements such as "Europeans can be accepting of other cultures" can be very misleading.

While most countries in Europe have to some degree, a certain number of different ethinic groups within the community, this can be quite varied from one country to the next.

The upshot of this is that in certain countries, you could be looked upon like an alien, simply because there are few people of your same ethic group that reside in that country.

You need to realise that Europe is a continent and as such is made up of many different countries and cultures. Statements such as "Europeans can be accepting of other cultures" can be very misleading.

While most countries in Europe have to some degree, a certain number of different ethinic groups within the community, this can be quite varied from one country to the next.

The upshot of this is that in certain countries, you could be looked upon like an alien, simply because there are few people of your same ethic group that reside in that country.

Western Europe and Germany in particular was mentioned, and I don't know any western european countries i've visited that fit in with the last paragraph you mentioned- i've lived in several western european countries, and each had a diverse population.

Western Europe and Germany in particular was mentioned, and I don't know any western european countries i've visited that fit in with the last paragraph you mentioned- i've lived in several western european countries, and each had a diverse population.

Which countries in particular? I have lived in Spain, Germany and Portugal and I would not compare the ethinc diversities of these countries with say Britain, France or Holland.

Yes, all European countries have ethnic diversity. In Spain there are ethnic groups from North Africa, Senegal, South America and a number of other places. Here in Ireland, many have come from Eastern Europe, some from Nigeria, and some from Asia. France would have a large ethnic group from its former colonies, particularly from North Africa. Germany has a large Turkish population, in addition to groups from other countries.

The law of the land states that people (Europeans and all others) must not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, colour or creed. On a personal level, I suppose one will meet all kinds of people in Europe, some more accepting than others, some more outgoing than others. It takes all kinds.

Hermes

Archived