Chronic urinary tract infections...

For the past two years or so, it seems like I get a urinary tract infection every 5-6 months. It's always the same thing. There will be no symptoms and then BAM, one night, usually after I've gone to bed, I'll awaken with a raging sensation that I have to urinate, but I won't really need too(and I'll have emptied my bladder before bed, so it shouldn't be full any way). The feeling is like I need to urinate really bad, but nothing comes out, a few drops maybe. Often times, it is enough to prevent me from sleeping(like right now). It's literally a constant dull pain when I have one. I've had cloudy urine for the past several months, but no pain. Appears to be of normal color, maybe a little diluted. I have never "hold" my urine when I have to go, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

They always put me on the same drug, the Nitrofurantoin, and that clears it up quickly. But I don't have insurance right now so this is so annoying that it keeps happening.

Here's a few things I think may have something to do with my problem. I don't drink enough water. I just don't. I am recently diagnosed with HPV--the kind that causes cervical abnormalities(not warts). I am on hormonal birth control, and my partner and I do not use condoms, but I always urinate after sex.

I have a Doctor's appointment already scheduled for two days from now for something else, so I'll let them know and see what they can do. Does any one have a similar problem?

I've had some UTI's too in the past, and they're very annoying and painful to say the least.

I agree with what the above poster said : cranberry juice and/or supplement vitamins can certainly help.

But I would also really recommend you to take a look at your fluid (water) intake and see if you can't raise it in any way. It's really important to drink enough water, I can't stress it enough. I know this is hard.

A few years ago I didn't drink much water either...maybe only 2 or 3 glasses a day at most. But since the UTI's I started to drink much more. (gradually upping my intake). That combined with taking a cranberry supplement and personal hygiene before and after sex (me urinating before and after sex) and making sure that both him and me are clean down there before anything happens, has kept me free from UTI's for five years now.

I am so bad about the water. In fact, most days, I don't drink any actual water at all. I'll drink a diet soda, and even then I'll only drink maybe 2-3 of those *cans* a day. Or I'll drink sweet tea. But regardless, I know that the amount of fluid I'm drinking is not nearly enough, especially since it's not straight water to begin with. I don't think about it--I never really feel "thirsty". Most of the time I feel fine.

I know that is really, really bad. I need to do better! I actually bought a new water filter jug so I can drink more water at home!

I am so bad about the water. In fact, most days, I don't drink any actual water at all. I don't think about it--I never really feel "thirsty".

Me too!! lol. I never drink water, EVER, and never have. My family is forever on at me to drink water, but I'm just not thirsty and therefore don't feel the need. I drink maximum 3 cups of tea a day. I once tried drinking water throughout the day (8 glasses) and I only got to about 4 and have never felt so sick in my life! After that, never again! lol. Water just doesn't work for me.

So, just letting you know you are not alone, lol.

Listen to this very carefully! The only reason i'm bolding this text is cos this may apply to you...

I used to get UTI's every few months or so. Last time i went to the doctors, i realised that the most common factor for me getting them was when i was run down (a bit tired etc.) and, most importantly, when i had been drinking (alcohol) heavily.

The doctor told me (and this is the most important thing) that bacteria breeds in carbohydrates / sugar, and that that's why after a drinking sesh, i would get a UTI. The bacteria BREED in sugars (in your blood), so in effect, a UTI is a blood infection.

Please be aware of your sugar consumption and alcohol intake. Even these days, although i've cut down on drinking, i still notice after lots of sugar (biscuits etc), i start to feel that burning sensation and then i would drink lots of water. But, drinking water is not the only solution in itself. You've got to watch your sugars, alcohol and immune system. But especially, watch your sugar and alcohol intake.

Good luck

I really suggest that you start drinking more water. Also, do you tend to hold your pee in? I always go at the first last second and that can cause problems because the longer the urine sits in your bladder more bacteria grows.

The OP wrote in her first post that she doesn't tend to hold her urine in, so I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.

For most of my life I've gotten UTIs at least once every month or so. Sometimes it's even come and gone several times in one month.

I started taking cranberry pills about 3 months ago and I haven't had a UTI since. I also try to drink more cranberry juice and water and less pop and other sugary drinks.

I'm not sure why I'm so prone to these infections and I've spoken to several doctors about it and they apathetically dismiss the frequency of my infections so I took matters into my own hands and it seems to have really relieved a lot of suffering.

Also, I know this seems weird but by keeping my feet warm and not sitting on cold surfaces [ ie. concrete in the winter time ] I find that can sometimes trigger it as well.

So this is the most bizarre thing... I posted that message last night at about 2:30am, because that's when I woke up with the pain. I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep so I took a shower that I'd planned on taking before work in the AM, then I went out to a 24 hour Walgreens, bought some cranberry extract, came home, drank 3-4 glasses of water and took the extract and then tried to go back to sleep.

Needless to say, I woke up about 5 times to go pee, but the the pain went away! I no longer feel the straining and pressure and dull ache, I feel fine now, like nothing happened. I took another few capsules today at lunch and I'm going to drink more water and just see if it's gone. Maybe it wasn't a true infection, or perhaps the onset of one, or maybe I was just severely dehydrated... I don't know, but I'm relieved!

OP- I'm glad the cranberry is helping! I have never had a UTI, my friend gets them all the time though. But I am posting because I thought I was one of the few people that hated water I guess not! I will often go a day where I actually don't 'drink' anything. Whatever water I get comes from my food mostly.

Luckily I haven't had any problems, I honestly feel sick after drinking water. I usually have tea instead and sometimes milk at meals

Be careful with the cranberry juice. Most types contain a lot of sugar and that feeds the bacteria. I'd get that 100% stuff and dilute it with mineral water.

I also seem to get them after a night of drinking and sex. Almost every one I've had has come after getting plastered the night before. In fact, I've had two in the past month and it has been a very boozy month. The peeing before and after sex doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

Archived