Does anybody believe things happen for a reason?

adviseseeker

No, I think life events are very random and you deal with them the best you can. Why do people get their hearts broken? Why do people get cancer? There is no "reason" for these awful things. They just happen.

This is true but I do whole heartedly believe in the law of attraction, that we attract a lot of bad things to us just as we have the power to attract good things.

I stopped fully believing karma and "reaping what you sow" when I experienced over and over bad things happening to good people. I think that when we make bad decisions, obviously the results can turn out disasterous but what about all those other times?

Food for thought.

Fate? Who knows. Did things happen for a reason, maybe, but all i'm saying is it's like this big long journey, so oddly if that girl hadnt have cheated on me and made me take the club job all those years ago i'd never had had the best 3 years recently....

You need to resist the urge to look back at coincidental events and connect dots among them. One can always make an argument that "this happened for a reason," but it's bad logic. Our lives are tremendously affected by random events. Some of the best things that ever happened to me were mostly the result of my having been in the right place at the right time (and vice versa: bad thing, bad place, bad time).

Have you ever learned a new word and then find that you hear it often?

It has happened to me a few times.

Lots of things happen and sometimes they can be uncanny and really make us wander if there is something influencing the events of our lifes. The answer of course is yes and that thing is ourselves. We have questions and we seek answers and so often we find our answers in the experiences of others. Since my break up I have found that I have bumped into people who have been through breakups as if by accident. The truth I need to take from this is that there are few of us who haven't had to deal with a breakup and that in every house you will hear stories of lose.

I do feel that the universe likes to flirt with us. Some people call it coincidence and some syncronisity, whatever you call it and read into it, it's there. I have a friend who scares me to paranoia with the level of syncronisty we share. When I broke up with my ex I had a strong feeling that this friend would contact me and the very next day I received a message from her. There have been many incidences of this but cannot find a reason. Maybe we have some spiritual connection we are unaware of. I really don't know and there is happiness in not knowing, since knowing would simply smash the magic of it to pieces.

I liked your story - it reminded me of everything in my life that made me feel like 'it was meant to be', these moment are almost like sign posts letting us know we are on the right track.

Life has a lot of mysteries and I like them, they make me smile and remind me that there are bigger things at play.

DazB

You need to resist the urge to look back at coincidental events and connect dots among them. One can always make an argument that "this happened for a reason," but it's bad logic. Our lives are tremendously affected by random events. Some of the best things that ever happened to me were mostly the result of my having been in the right place at the right time (and vice versa: bad thing, bad place, bad time).

Well said.

I'm not saying i do or don't. If it happens for a reason or didn't. If there's some higher power or not, and even if all this is true, I have no control.

I'm saying if I had not had that heartbreak moment when i was a kid years ago which pushed me in some direction, I'd never had had all that happen. I just find that thought and journey interesting ! It could of course gone a totally opposite direction and my story would be different. It just helps to know that there was some long journey with many ups and downs i've been on that clearly has not ended yet...but sort of reminds you that something always pops up no matter how bad you though it got

Since my break up I have found that I have bumped into people who have been through breakups as if by accident.

Ha, you reminded me - that first girl, i went for along walk to clear my head and coming the other way bumped into some girl who was doing exactly the same thing after just breaking up with her bloke and we had a chat...no idea who she was to this day. 2 weeks later after this recent break up, i get a call from an old friend who has just had a break up - i have to laugh really at this!

I don't think he's my type though, he's nice and all but he's a lot older than me and is far too...how could I describe it - spiritual? He seems like a really awesome person to hang out with and be friends with though! Which may be all he wants from the coffee anyway. He's giving me a thank you gift from his place of work too - office supply store, for selling it to him Pretty cute.

Do not go out with this guy for coffee. You aren't ready. Maybe you want a friendship but he doesn't. He's recently single, so are you, he's older, you're not attracted - he's got feelings that are different and you know it or you wouldn't of posted the story here. Someone will just get hurt.

Alright, so I guess your saying that guys don't ask out girls for coffee if they are just looking to be friends...which is strange because I didn't think I gave him any vibe that I was interested, I just thought he was a super friendly guy who wanted to talk about life. But yes, he is being waay to friendly now for it to be considered just friendly, time to back off somehow...

We are guys, we don't need friends that are girls. Trust me, if I am recently single and run into a younger women who is recently single I am going to make a move. This is his move but it is hidden inside "friendship". This is what we do when we are out of the dating game for awhile and afraid to go straight in for the kill. He asked you on a date, if he just wanted to say thanks he could say "thank you." I suppose you could argue some types of guys are just looking for friends but I disagree. We think and chase one thing and it isn't friendship.

Archived